RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based Curtis Vaughan 19 Oct 01:14
Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based Curtis Vaughan 20 Oct 19:05
  Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based Axel Wernicke 20 Oct 20:59
Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based Curtis Vaughan 20 Oct 22:40
Problems with Gimp on OSX Intel-based Curtis Vaughan 03 Nov 19:58
Curtis Vaughan
2006-10-19 01:14:18 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I was noticing problems with color on my system. I also noticed that although I had 2.2.x installed the current version was 2.2.11. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to whether I was upgrading or not. Maybe they were the same.

Anyhow, I installed 2.2.11 and now the problem is that instead of any fonts appearing (anywhere in Gimp), all I have are like dominoes. So where it should say "File" in the mail window, I see something like 4 dominoes in a row. The languages on my system are English, Russian and French (in that order). However, the region is set a Russia. I think it's the Russian that's messing it up, but am not certain.

I'd really appreciate any help.

BTW, I am talking about Gimp.app and not Gimp through Fink.

Curtis Vaughan

Curtis Vaughan
2006-10-20 19:05:24 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Curtis Vaughan gmail.com> writes:

Here's an update to my problem. In the first place, forget about the color issue.

I created a second account on my computer and logged into that account and
installed Gimp.app under that account. First I made sure, however, that English was the primary language and USA was for localization. Everything was working fine.

So I went back to my account. English is the primary language, followed by Russian and French. However, Russia was for localization. So, I changed it to USA. Then I tried Gimp. Same font problem.
So then I started removing various
configuration files.
For example, I removed ~/.gimp-2.2/. I removed ~/Library/Application Support/Gimp/. I copied over the ~/.gimp-2.2 directory from the user I created. Etc.
Each time I would retry installing and launching Gimp, but everytime the same problem.

Anybody have any idea what needs to be done to get Gimp to show up with Latin fonts?

Axel Wernicke
2006-10-20 20:59:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

once there was a problem that was similar ... but different. Anyhow, it might be worth a try:

Have a look into http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335329

hth, lexA

Am 20.10.2006 um 19:05 schrieb Curtis Vaughan:

Curtis Vaughan gmail.com> writes:

Here's an update to my problem. In the first place, forget about the color issue.

I created a second account on my computer and logged into that account and
installed Gimp.app under that account. First I made sure, however, that English was the primary language and USA was for localization. Everything was working fine.

So I went back to my account. English is the primary language, followed by Russian and French. However, Russia was for localization. So, I changed it to USA. Then I tried Gimp. Same font problem.
So then I started removing various
configuration files.
For example, I removed ~/.gimp-2.2/. I removed ~/Library/Application Support/Gimp/. I copied over the ~/.gimp-2.2 directory from the user I created. Etc.
Each time I would retry installing and launching Gimp, but everytime the same problem.

Anybody have any idea what needs to be done to get Gimp to show up with Latin fonts?

Curtis Vaughan
2006-10-20 22:40:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Ok, this is interesting.
I ran gimp with the parameter --verbose and here's what I get: (gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande Semi-Bold 11.5224609375

(gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande Semi-Bold 11.5224609375

(gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande 11.5224609375

(gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande 9.6015625

(gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande 8.6416015625

(gimp-2.2:15593): Pango-WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Lucida Grande Oblique 11.5224609375

But, this doesn't happen for the other account. I have checked disk permissions. I have copied to file over to my Font folder. But still the same error.
Any other ideas?

Curtis Vaughan
2006-11-03 19:58:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

The following solution was sent to me personally:

Hey... I would have posted to the list but I'm not a member. I had the EXACT same problem you are experiencing with Gimp. Try getting rid of .fonts.cache-1 in your home directory and restart Gimp -- fixed my problem!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:14:18 +0000, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

I was noticing problems with color on my system. I also noticed that although I had 2.2.x installed the current version was 2.2.11. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to whether I was upgrading or not. Maybe they were the same.

Anyhow, I installed 2.2.11 and now the problem is that instead of any fonts appearing (anywhere in Gimp), all I have are like dominoes. So where it should say "File" in the mail window, I see something like 4 dominoes in a row. The languages on my system are English, Russian and French (in that order). However, the region is set a Russia. I think it's the Russian that's messing it up, but am not certain.

I'd really appreciate any help.

BTW, I am talking about Gimp.app and not Gimp through Fink.

Curtis Vaughan