RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Grey Mask for Lenticular Images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Grey Mask for Lenticular Images Jerry Dunn 12 Oct 23:51
  Grey Mask for Lenticular Images Carol Spears 20 Oct 19:02
Jerry Dunn
2006-10-12 23:51:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I have an application that allows me to create lenticular ("3D") images. There's a couple methods...one is to take multiple (like 10 to 15) images and load them into the program. It then stitches them into an image that lends the perception of depth when viewed through the lenticular lens that it's printed on.
Another method is to convert a 2D image into a "3D" and this requires me tro create a "Depth Mask" or "Grey Mask"...both terms are new to me.
The Help File tells how to do this in PhotoShop in three steps:
1) Load an image
2) Split the Red, Green and Blue Channels 3) Save the Green channel as a grey mask. Use Auto Contrast.
This mask is then manipulated along with the original image to add stereoscopic depth.
Can someone help me to accomplish the depth or grey mask creation using GIMP rather than PShop?
Thanks -

Jerry in Downeast Maine

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail.

Carol Spears
2006-10-20 19:02:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 02:51:17PM -0700, Jerry Dunn wrote:

The Help File tells how to do this in PhotoShop in three steps:
1) Load an image
2) Split the Red, Green and Blue Channels 3) Save the Green channel as a grey mask. Use Auto Contrast.

in gimp-2.2 use the plug-in found at /Layers/Color/Decompose it has a default setting to RGB so you can run the plug-in without changing anything in the dialog.

a new image grayscale image will appear with three layers.

with the original image in focus, right click on Dialogs/Layers and duplicate the original layer (or find the way to add the alpha channel to the original). right click again on Dialogs/Layers and add a mask to the duplicated layer.

depending on which version of gimp you are using, there was a couple of releases where copying from a grayscale image into an rgb image would make gimp crash, so i am usually careful to change the decompose output to rgb before copying....

with the decompose image in focus, select the green layer in Dialogs/Layers and Edit/Copy. then with the original image in focus, Edit/Paste. Touch the anchor button on the lower portion of Dialogs/Layers and the floating layer from the paste should adhere itself to the layer mask.

you can run some plug-ins on a layer mask, Auto Contrast is no exception. i will let you find that filter on your own. the layers dialog will indicate which component of the layer is active by changing the color around the thumbnail. this way, you can choose whether the plug-ins work on the image or on the layer. when a layer is added, the default is that the layer is in focus, so you can safely avoided changing it for this task.

thank you for asking this question. i was just playing with these 'layer effects' and i really hadn't found too much that was as promising as this one to be useful:
http://carol.gimp.org/GIMP/layer-effects/ i suspect that some of this email will appear there as well.

carol