RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

sharpening scanned images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

sharpening scanned images Alain Williams 10 Oct 17:13
Alain Williams
2006-10-10 17:13:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

sharpening scanned images

Hi,

I have images that I want to sharpen/tidy. Scanned of: maps, line drawings, logos, ... I want to prepare them for going into web pages. These are different from the images that the tutorials cover, they are:

* several colours only needed. Small variations in colour should be eliminated as they aren't wanted and only serve to make the image file bigger. * edges need to be sharpened, little bits of detail ironed out since they are prob an aretfact of scanning. If several lines meet then they will probably continue in a straight, or constant curve, for some distance.

I have done this sort of thing by hand, zapping unwanted pixels, flood filling areas (and using the same colour in other no-connected areas).

Is there an easier way of doing this ?

BTW: I only use the Gimp occasionally and must admit that I find it difficult/frustrating wandering around the menus trying to work out what things like the Gaussian Blur filter are. It would be nice if there was a tooltip or 10 line help that I could get on these. Guessing and trying them on my image is very time consuming.