RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. John R. Culleton 06 Sep 15:40
  FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Michael Schumacher 06 Sep 17:05
  FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Ismael Valladolid Torres 07 Sep 11:54
   FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. John R. Culleton 07 Sep 17:10
    FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Alan Horkan 07 Sep 22:18
     FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. John R. Culleton 07 Sep 23:47
  FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Brendan 07 Sep 18:39
FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Michael Clark 06 Sep 17:31
  FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. Michael Schumacher 06 Sep 17:38
John R. Culleton
2006-09-06 15:40:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I have the writer's permission to forward this info: -------------------------------------------------- One other note of caution about Gimp: I would not try to install it if you're running Win XP. The online info indicates that it will run on Win XP, but it also may screw up other programs. I downloaded it and then discovered that you had to install the GTK+ Runtime Environment. Did that, tried it and, after quickly determining that it was an awkward program and not one that I would choose to use for anything, discovered that GTK had messed up other programs. Took me a couple of hours to get everything back to normal (had to manually find the bits and pieces of GTK and reinstall a couple of other programs).

Maybe it works OK with Linux, for which it was designed, but I would not recommend installing it on Win XP.

Walt Shiel Publisher, Slipdown Mountain Publications LLC Author, "Devil in the North Woods" - http://Devil.SlipdownMountain.com "From the Publisher's Desk" - http://PubDesk.SlipdownMountain.com "Warbirds Old & New" - http://Blog.CessnaWarbirds.com ------------------------------------------------

Michael Schumacher
2006-09-06 17:05:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: "John R. Culleton"

I have the writer's permission to forward this info: -------------------------------------------------- One other note of caution about Gimp: I would not try to install it if you're running Win XP. The online info indicates that it will run on Win XP, but it also may screw up other programs.

Would be interesting to know which programs, because the only thing the GTK+ installer does which could affect other programs is renaming some DLL files (libxml2, for example) in system directories which shouldn't have been there anyway.

HTH, Michael

Michael Clark
2006-09-06 17:31:22 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I have used Gimp on Windows for a year or so without noticing any problems with my other programs. The only problem I've had related to GTK lately was a problem with GAIM crashing, but that was GAIM's fault for not keeping up-to-date with the GTK development. Exactly what programs get screwed up by GTK?

Mike

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:40:42 -0400 From: "John R. Culleton"
Subject: [Gimp-user] FYI Users problem with Gimp on XWindows. To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I have the writer's permission to forward this info: -------------------------------------------------- One other note of caution about Gimp: I would not try to install it if you're running Win XP. The online info indicates that it will run on Win XP, but it also may screw up other programs. I downloaded it and then discovered that you had to install the GTK+ Runtime Environment. Did that, tried it and, after quickly determining that it was an awkward program and not one that I would choose to use for anything, discovered that GTK had messed up other programs. Took me a couple of hours to get everything back to normal (had to manually find the bits and pieces of GTK and reinstall a couple of other programs).

Maybe it works OK with Linux, for which it was designed, but I would not recommend installing it on Win XP.

Michael Schumacher
2006-09-06 17:38:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: "Michael Clark"

The only problem I've had related to GTK lately was a problem with GAIM crashing, but that was GAIM's fault for not keeping up-to-date with the GTK development.

Nah, it's not that easy. They couldn't update to 2.8 because there was some missing functionality. You could ask Tor Lillqvist or one of the Gaim Win32 developers for details.

The main problem was that they didn't change their all-in-one installer packages after the problem had been discovered and identified.

HTH, Michael

Ismael Valladolid Torres
2006-09-07 11:54:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

John R. Culleton escribe:

I have the writer's permission to forward this info:

Nice. Who's the writer?

One other note of caution about Gimp: I would not try to install it if you're running Win XP. The online info indicates that it will run on Win XP, but it also may screw up other programs. I downloaded it and then discovered that you had to install the GTK+ Runtime Environment. Did that, tried it and, after quickly determining that it was an awkward program and not one that I would choose to use for anything, discovered that GTK had messed up other programs. Took me a couple of hours to get everything back to normal (had to manually find the bits and pieces of GTK and reinstall a couple of other programs).

GTK+ is only a bunch of files that go to a directory which you could or could not include in your PATH. AFAIK it doesn't do a shit to system registry. So I bet that it's not true that GTK+ screw anything.

Gimp and other GTK+ apps (Gaim, Gajim, etc.) run nicely enough on Windows.

Cordially, Ismael

John R. Culleton
2006-09-07 17:10:40 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thursday 07 September 2006 05:54, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

John R. Culleton escribe:

I have the writer's permission to forward this info:

Nice. Who's the writer?

Cordially, Ismael

Walt Shiel
I suggested using a Knoppix disk and he was enthusiastic about that possibility. He will ultimately end up on Linux I suspect.

Brendan
2006-09-07 18:39:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 09:40, John R. Culleton wrote:

This is complete crapola.
GTK is just a library and doesn't do anything unless called.

I have been using Gimp at work on Windows XP since XP was released.

Alan Horkan
2006-09-07 22:18:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

XWindows is something entirely different from Windows XP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

It is an error which makes it much more difficult to take the rest of the message seriously.

However it has long been clear that it causes problems for many users to have seperate downloads for GIMP and GTK when nearly all other programs provide one single installer with all the necessary components. It might be a good idea for the downloads page to prominently recommend the all in one bundle provided by PortableApps.com

Sincerely

Alan Horkan http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

John R. Culleton
2006-09-07 23:47:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:18, Alan Horkan wrote:

XWindows is something entirely different from Windows XP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

It is an error which makes it much more difficult to take the rest of the message seriously.

Ouch! My baddest bad. Thought one thing---fingers typed another. Perhps my subconscious revolted against the evil duple XP.

Sometimes even good old Homer nods.