RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Grzegorz Nowak 21 Aug 14:59
  Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Olivier Ripoll 22 Aug 09:33
   Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Grzegorz Nowak 22 Aug 09:47
  Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Grzegorz Nowak 22 Aug 11:28
   Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work graffoo 23 Aug 13:36
    Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Grzegorz Nowak 23 Aug 14:30
     Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work graffoo 24 Aug 06:34
     Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work graffoo 24 Aug 11:00
      Fuzzy select tool antialiasing does not work Grzegorz Nowak 27 Aug 21:49
Grzegorz Nowak
2006-08-21 14:59:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello.

I am wondering why I can't get the fuzzy select tool to antialias my selected image borders. I have tried with The Gimp 2.2.12 and 2.3.9 and the result is the same. The antialias tool works fine with Rect Select and Ellipse select. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any help would be very appreciated, or else I have to do some manual antialiasing : (.

What I do:
1) Select a plain black aliased figure on a white background with fuzzy select, with antialiasing switched on. 2) press ctrl + c and then ctrl + v. 3) Move the copied image to another location. 4) It has not been antialiased.
5) I wonder my brains out.

If I do the same with ellipse selection, it works fine, and the ellipse shaped image is antialiased. Is it a bug?? I have searched on aliasing and fuzzy selection on google for a long time now... without any luck.

I am running it on windows xp pro.

Thank you.

Regards.

Grzegorz, student in logistics

Olivier Ripoll
2006-08-22 09:33:23 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Grzegorz Nowak wrote:

Hello.

I am wondering why I can't get the fuzzy select tool to antialias my selected image borders. I have tried with The Gimp 2.2.12 and 2.3.9 and the result is the same. The antialias tool works fine with Rect Select and Ellipse select. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any help would be very appreciated, or else I have to do some manual antialiasing : (.

What I do:
1) Select a plain black aliased figure on a white background with fuzzy select, with antialiasing switched on. 2) press ctrl + c and then ctrl + v. 3) Move the copied image to another location. 4) It has not been antialiased.

If I do the same with ellipse selection, it works fine, and the ellipse shaped image is antialiased. Is it a bug?? I have searched on aliasing and fuzzy selection on google for a long time now... without any luck.

I am running it on windows xp pro.

Try increasing the threshold. The tool will select the region according to the colour of the clicked pixel + the ones that are close (in terms of colour). Antialiased pixels in your case (black on white) are grey, and the tool will only select the dark grey ones if your threshold is too low. It will look like antialiasing is gone. You can also change the threshold by dragging the tool while selecting.

But I agree that it looks like there is a bug there. The antialias option does not have any effect (I have the same effect with or without it).

Best regards,

Olivier

Grzegorz Nowak
2006-08-22 09:47:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/22/06, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Try increasing the threshold. The tool will select the region according to the colour of the clicked pixel + the ones that are close (in terms of colour). Antialiased pixels in your case (black on white) are grey, and the tool will only select the dark grey ones if your threshold is too low. It will look like antialiasing is gone. You can also change the threshold by dragging the tool while selecting.

Yes, but in my case, the shape is not antialiased, it's plain black. I wan't to select it, and copy it down (antialiased) on another background. I thought the use of the fuzzy tool was the way out, since I don't get how to install (compile) the antialias tool available on the internet.

But I agree that it looks like there is a bug there. The antialias option does not have any effect (I have the same effect with or without it).

Okay, then it's not just me ;), I wil try to report this bug via gimp.org.

Thank you.

Grzegorz

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Grzegorz Nowak
2006-08-22 11:28:40 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/21/06, Grzegorz Nowak wrote:

Hello.

What I do:

I reported the bug, and got this answer: **
------- Comment #1 from Michael Schumacher 2006-08-22 09:19 UTC ------- The antialias setting is for the selection mask, and it works as expected here. Activating this setting won't magically antialias the selection content, as you seem to expect.

IMO this is NOTABUG. **

I don't get it, how should I select a shape and then antialias it on another background??

Thank you and regards

Grzegorz

graffoo
2006-08-23 13:36:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

When you select something, go to Selet>To path and then right click the path in path tab and select Path to selection. Voila - antialiased selection ;) But I'm not sure if the function "Selection to path" is in v2.2 coz I'm using v2.3.9

Grzegorz Nowak
2006-08-23 14:30:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/23/06, graffoo wrote:

When you select something, go to Selet>To path and then right click the path in path tab and select Path to selection. Voila - antialiased selection ;) But I'm not sure if the function "Selection to path" is in v2.2 coz I'm using v2.3.9

Okay thank you, this also works in 2.2 but the quality of the antialiasing is quite poor. The result can bee seen here: http://grn.dk/up/gimp/logotest02.png

It is not as good as how it supposed to look like: http://grn.dk/up/gimp/logo.png

I don't brake any copyrights, I own and run www.webdrive.dk.

Best regards

Grzegorz

graffoo
2006-08-24 06:34:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hmm, seems to me like this function was enhanced in dev version of gimp coz I've tried it with aliased text and the result was perfect... Another way - after fuzzy select, switch to quick mask and try to use some blurring, or better a median filter (I think Enhance>Despeckle is a median filter AFAIK). But I didn't test it...

graffoo
2006-08-24 11:00:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Just noticed that when you have something selected, switch to the paths tab and Shift+Click on the Selection to Path button - you will see a bunch of options, try to play with them...

Grzegorz Nowak
2006-08-27 21:49:39 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/24/06, graffoo wrote:

Just noticed that when you have something selected, switch to the paths tab and Shift+Click on the Selection to Path button - you will see a bunch of options, try to play with them...

Thank you for all the input, and sorry for the late reply..

The shift+click on the selection to path button didn't improve my results. I found that the only way to get good anti aliasing (AA) is to use the selection to path, and then adjust the path manually. So i am probably left without a automatic AA tool...?

I have also tried the quick mask and then blur. The result is OK, but i think it lacks the quality of AA, because it does not mix/blend the pixels on sharp edges totally to the background, like AA would do. I had no luck with enhance despeckle..

Cheers

Grzegorz