RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how to save TIFF file in multi-layer format?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to save TIFF file in multi-layer format? Zhang Weiwu 19 Aug 08:27
  how to save TIFF file in multi-layer format? Sven Neumann 21 Aug 11:11
Zhang Weiwu
2006-08-19 08:27:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Maybe this is an age old question: I used to store files in TIFF format as long as layer is the only information I wish to keep (80% of the times). I always think that is better then keeping PSD format which is a special format of special software (Photoshop) and may be unusable on computers without photoshop.

Now I wish to do the same on GIMP, I saved in TIFF format, but the layers are merged.

Is it possible to save as TIFF format while keeping layers (and its alpha channel)? If not, isn't it better to keep this feature as an option (e.g. ask user if they wish to save in multi-layer format) or preference (e.g. always save as multi-layer format, unless user set preference not to do so).

I don't wish to keep a lot of GIMP format image in our company's document management system, because other colleagues cannot use it with their Photoshop. However they feel fine with multi-layer TIFF (even if they know text layers are converted to bitmap: that's not a big headache for them thanks to our entry level use of Photoshop/GIMP. They only want the layer information including alpha channel)

Sven Neumann
2006-08-21 11:11:59 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 14:27 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Is it possible to save as TIFF format while keeping layers (and its alpha channel)? If not, isn't it better to keep this feature as an option (e.g. ask user if they wish to save in multi-layer format) or preference (e.g. always save as multi-layer format, unless user set preference not to do so).

The GIMP TIFF plug-in doesn't provide this functionality yet (see http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335975). It should however not be too hard to add it. So if you need it, perhaps you should hire a programmer to implement it and contribute the result?

Sven