RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rawphoto plugin not listed

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rawphoto plugin not listed Gracia M. Littauer 18 Aug 20:16
  rawphoto plugin not listed Gracia M. Littauer 19 Aug 01:37
   rawphoto plugin not listed Patrick Shanahan 19 Aug 01:57
   rawphoto plugin not listed Alan Horkan 20 Aug 01:44
20060820023317.GD24315@waho... 07 Oct 20:18
  rawphoto plugin not listed Patrick Shanahan 20 Aug 04:49
   rawphoto plugin not listed Tim Jedlicka 22 Aug 04:50
    rawphoto plugin not listed Gracia M. Littauer 22 Aug 07:14
     rawphoto plugin not listed Tim Jedlicka 22 Aug 07:13
      rawphoto plugin not listed Matthias Julius 22 Aug 17:05
Gracia M. Littauer
2006-08-18 20:16:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I have had rawphoto plugin listed & working for at least 2 years. Just upgraded to SuSE 10.1 & no rawphoto..;^(

Anyone else had this problem?

Gracia M. Littauer
2006-08-19 01:37:40 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I'm answering myself since I seem to be talking to myself. ;^).. doesn't anyone use suse linux gimp to read & correct raw photo files??

I finally got the rawphoto plugin to open, BUT it isn't the same as before my SuSE upgrade to 10.1...it now has almost no controls & looks like a child's version of what used to be a fairly decent raw converter...not Bibble, but faster to use & decent controls. What controls there are now don't do much. I can't believe this is what is surposed to be there

Patrick Shanahan
2006-08-19 01:57:24 UTC (over 17 years ago)

* Gracia M. Littauer [08-18-06 19:32]:

I'm answering myself since I seem to be talking to myself. ;^).. doesn't anyone use suse linux gimp to read & correct raw photo files??

SUSE 10.1 2.6.16.21-0.13-smp
gimp-2.2.12-1.guru.suse101

I finally got the rawphoto plugin to open, BUT it isn't the same as before my SuSE upgrade to 10.1...it now has almost no controls & looks like a child's version of what used to be a fairly decent raw converter...not Bibble, but faster to use & decent controls. What controls there are now don't do much. I can't believe this is what is surposed to be there

child's version??? The controls have been moved to tabs and buttons. What are you missing?

from gimp: giimp-remote ~/Pictures/1208.Snow.and.Decorations.d70/dsc_3473.nef yields: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/gimp-ufraw.jpg

loading from the file->open menu selection does the same.

You can also open ufraw from the cl: /usr/bin/ufraw

It does not show in the gimp's plug-in folder, but it is available.

Alan Horkan
2006-08-20 01:44:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:37:40 -0400 From: Gracia M. Littauer
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] rawphoto plugin not listed

I'm answering myself since I seem to be talking to myself. ;^)..

Be patient. If people have no answers they may not say anything at all.

doesn't anyone use suse linux gimp to read & correct raw photo files??

I am not familiar with SuSe, you might be better to contact them directly.

I finally got the rawphoto plugin to open, BUT it isn't the same as before my SuSE upgrade to 10.1...it now has almost no controls & looks like a child's version of what used to be a fairly decent raw converter...not Bibble,

Most people will not have any idea what you are talking about when you say Bibble. You should explain what you mean and preferably provide reference links.

Be specific. if there is a feature you feel you need then say so. Comments you made might not be taken as encouragement by those you would need to convince to get things changed.

Keep in mind that not everyone here has English as their first language so perhaps your comments seem harsher than actually intended.

but faster to use & decent controls. What controls there are now don't do much. I can't believe this is what is surposed to be there

Patrick Shanahan
2006-08-20 04:49:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

* Gracia M. Littauer [08-19-06 22:33]:

I originally had 'rawphoto' in /opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and 'dcraw' in /usr/bin

I don't believe that it is necessary in 10.1 to have ufraw listed in either of the gimp plug-ins directories. I do not!

I went back to that, with the older rawphoto & at last got something to open, but not what I would call an improvement.

UFraw seems to be either a rawphoto plugin (front end?)

no, it's not. It uses dcraw, not rawphoto. Rawphoto also uses dcraw.

You can also open ufraw from the cl: /usr/bin/ufraw

maybe you can...I can't ;^)

then your installation is bonkers, iiuc.

As far as I know either rawphoto-gimp or ufraw (the front ends?) belong in /opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins

and dcraw belongs in usr/bin

note, from /usr/share/doc/packages/ufraw/README:

Insatallation =============
You also need to make sure that rawphoto is not installed.

But with that I still get that less then useful window

You have not followed the installation instructions for UFRaw.

Please, unless specifically requested otherwise, questions and/or answers posted to the list _should_ have their responses posted on the net. Others may have the same problem and benefit from the conversation.

ps. I saw your examples, but they do not appear on the list. If you want to display them for the list, you will have to provide urls. If you cannot, send me private mail and I will make them available.

Tim Jedlicka
2006-08-22 04:50:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/19/06, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Gracia M. Littauer [08-19-06 22:33]:

I originally had 'rawphoto' in /opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and 'dcraw' in /usr/bin

I don't believe that it is necessary in 10.1 to have ufraw listed in either of the gimp plug-ins directories. I do not!

I went back to that, with the older rawphoto & at last got something to open, but not what I would call an improvement.

UFraw seems to be either a rawphoto plugin (front end?)

I've been using ufraw for the past several months and like it quite a bit. I would recommend the newest version. It is fairly easy to download the tarball and compile it yourself. If you do the "make install" as root, it will install the ufraw plugin for all users, then simply open a raw file and it opens ufraw as a frontend.
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html

Tim Jedlicka
2006-08-22 07:13:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 8/22/06, Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

Yo Tim,

installed ufcraw from SuSE 10.1 DVD in opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.2/plug-ins.

My quick search of suse and ufraw was that SuSE was on 0.6 or so of ufraw. It is at 0.9.1
I could be wrong - but worth checking out. It is pretty easy to configure-make-make install
and you will get the latest and greatest. ufraw and dcraw both seem to be pretty active developments and I personally like the improvements both are making (ufraw seems to incorporate the latest dcraw pretty quickly as well. Put them together with Gimp and it is pretty sweet.

I hope you don't mind my jaunty salutation, makes me feel young & list

email is too informal for the usual one.

no prob

Gracia M. Littauer
2006-08-22 07:14:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Yo Tim,

I've been using ufraw for the past several months and like it quite a bit.

Thanks. After picking though the replies I have received, I found the diamond in the dross. I deleted rawphoto (can't be there if ufraw is there), kept dcraw in usr/bin...needed for other viewer programs & installed ufcraw from SuSE 10.1 DVD in opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.2/plug-ins.

Now wasn't that just the easiest!

You're right, as I also said, it a very nice plugin...does the job very well & with ease. Installing it was also easy...ah hem ;^).

I hope you don't mind my jaunty salutation, makes me feel young & list email is too informal for the usual one.

Matthias Julius
2006-08-22 17:05:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

"Tim Jedlicka" writes:

On 8/22/06, Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

Yo Tim,

installed ufcraw from SuSE 10.1 DVD in opt/gnome/lib/gimp/2.2/plug-ins.

My quick search of suse and ufraw was that SuSE was on 0.6 or so of ufraw. It is at 0.9.1
I could be wrong - but worth checking out. It is pretty easy to configure-make-make install
and you will get the latest and greatest. ufraw and dcraw both seem to be pretty active developments and I personally like the improvements both are making (ufraw seems to incorporate the latest dcraw pretty quickly as well. Put them together with Gimp and it is pretty sweet.

And even sweeter will it be once The Gimp knows how to work with 16bit/color images.

Matthias