RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Picture File Association

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Picture File Association Famous Actor 17 Aug 09:12
  Picture File Association vt 17 Aug 13:15
   Picture File Association Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 17 Aug 14:58
    Picture File Association Brendan 17 Aug 22:59
     Picture File Association Alan Horkan 19 Aug 19:03
  Picture File Association dj 06 Sep 07:54
Famous Actor
2006-08-17 09:12:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

I'm a first time Gimp user. During installation, I accidentally associated all possible picture files as Gimp files. Now on my hard drive, the picture files are no longer "gifs" or "jpegs" or "bitmaps", they are all "gimps". Does anyone know how to reverse the association? I want to use The Gimp, but I also want to know what files are gifs and jpegs.

vt
2006-08-17 13:15:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

2006 m. rugpj?tis 17 d., ketvirtadienis 10:12, Famous Actor raš?:

I'm a first time Gimp user. During installation, I accidentally associated all possible picture files as Gimp files. Now on my hard drive, the picture files are no longer "gifs" or "jpegs" or "bitmaps", they are all "gimps". Does anyone know how to reverse the association? I want to use The Gimp, but I also want to know what files are gifs and jpegs.

For answer we should at least know what is your operating system.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-08-17 14:58:56 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

On Thursday 17 August 2006 08:15 am, vt wrote:

His "operating system" if it may be called so, is clearly enough windows. It is the only "thing" that first says it is not important to know the files extensions, then hide the proper parts of the filenames, and later wants people to know an image file type from another just by the icons.

Famous Actor: You can associate the files back each to its own app, though I would not remember the way to do it under windos. But you can also set your system to actually show you the file extensions thenselves. I consider this last way much more usefull. Just look for the proper option of "do not show file extensions" - yes windos announces this crippling stuff as a 'feature' - under the "view" or "edit" or "configure" menu on the Windows Explorer window, and turn it off. (Sorry, I have no windos around to actually check which is the way to go)

Brendan
2006-08-17 22:59:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

On Thursday 17 August 2006 08:58, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Thursday 17 August 2006 08:15 am, vt wrote:

His "operating system" if it may be called so, is clearly enough windows. It is the only "thing" that first says it is not important to know the files extensions, then hide the proper parts of the filenames, and later wants people to know an image file type from another just by the icons.

Famous Actor: You can associate the files back each to its own app, though I would not remember the way to do it under windos. But you can also set

Ugh, this will take forever. If he can stand using something else, just go into Microsoft Picture viewer or install irfanview and let it take over all the picture assocs.

Alan Horkan
2006-08-19 19:03:18 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

dj
2006-09-06 07:54:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Picture File Association

If you're using XP, simply open the folder which usually contains your images, click on Tools>Folder Options, and uncheck the boxes that say Hide Extensions of known file types, and any others that may be hiding the extensions you need to see.

Then if you want to open a file with something other than the Gimp, right click on it and select Open With...

If you uninstall the Gimp, it might return file associations to where they were... or it might not. This is Windows, remember.

--- Famous Actor wrote:

I'm a first time Gimp user. During installation, I accidentally associated
all possible picture files as Gimp files. Now on my hard drive, the picture
files are no longer "gifs" or "jpegs" or "bitmaps", they are all "gimps".
Does anyone know how to reverse the association? I want to use The Gimp, but
I also want to know what files are gifs and jpegs.