RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rounded corners on jpg image.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rounded corners on jpg image. John R. Culleton 14 Aug 21:40
  rounded corners on jpg image. saulgoode@brickfilms.com 15 Aug 08:42
   rounded corners on jpg image. Alan Horkan 15 Aug 22:18
    rounded corners on jpg image. John R. Culleton 15 Aug 23:41
     rounded corners on jpg image. Alan Horkan 15 Aug 23:59
John R. Culleton
2006-08-14 21:40:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

have a jpg image that is in rectangular form. I would like to round the corners off symmetrically to soften the shape a bit. Which is the quickest way to to this?

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-08-15 08:42:23 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Quoting "John R. Culleton" :

have a jpg image that is in rectangular form. I would like to round the corners off symmetrically to soften the shape a bit. Which is the quickest way to to this?

The quickest way is to:

* Select all * Perform a "Rounded rectangle" (I think you will find this on the "Select" menu, but on previous GIMP versions it may be under "Script-fu->Selection")
* Invert the selection
* Fill with a background color (JPEGs do not support transparent areas, therefore you have to choose a specific color for the corners)

If you would prefer to have the corners match the background of whereever the image is to appear (on a webpage, for example), you will have to use the PNG format (GIFs will work, too; but will have "ugly" edges). Change the last step above to:

* Perform a "Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel" and then an "Edit->Clear"

If you *have* to use JPEG format, I would recommend that you place a border around your image:

* Select all * Perform a "Rounded rectangle" (I think you will find this on the "Select" menu, but on previous GIMP versions it may be under "Script-fu->Selection")
* Create a new transparent layer. Increase this layer's boundary size by the amount of border you think will look good. Use the "Center" option when resizing the layer
* Perform an "Image->Fit canvas to layers" * Invert the selection
* Fill with a border color

Alan Horkan
2006-08-15 22:18:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:42:23 -0700 From: saulgoode@brickfilms.com
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] rounded corners on jpg image.

The quickest way is to:

* Select all

By the way, a "Select All" is not required. When I rewrote the script it was a reasonably safe assumption that if a user tried to run the script without having first selected something the script should run on the whole image so I added it. There may be other scripts or plugins which could take the "do something" approach, feel free to suggest.

John R. Culleton
2006-08-15 23:41:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 16:18, Alan Horkan wrote:

To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] rounded corners on jpg image.

The quickest way is to:

* Select all

By the way, a "Select All" is not required. When I rewrote the script it was a reasonably safe assumption that if a user tried to run the script without having first selected something the script should run on the whole image so I added it. There may be other scripts or plugins which could take the "do something" approach, feel free to suggest.

I must have missed a post somehow. what is the message you are quoting from?

Alan Horkan
2006-08-15 23:59:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:41:25 -0400 From: John R. Culleton
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Cc: Alan Horkan
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] rounded corners on jpg image.

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 16:18, Alan Horkan wrote:

The quickest way is to:

* Select all

I must have missed a post somehow. what is the message you are quoting from?

I'm quoting from the response to your question which suggested "Select All" then use the "Rounded rectangle" script etc.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-user%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg10865.html

Dont know how you missed it. Overzealous spam filters?