RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rotation behavior

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rotation behavior Alex Feldman 09 Aug 14:01
  rotation behavior Patrick Shanahan 09 Aug 14:57
20060809190006.2C800B3D388@... 07 Oct 20:18
  rotation behavior radar.map35@free.fr 09 Aug 21:37
Alex Feldman
2006-08-09 14:01:43 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

rotation behavior

Hi,

My ordinary workflow is to download photos from my camera to a directory, orient them properly with jhead, and then clean them up as necessary and put them in an album with JAlbum.

I just did this with some photos from an old digicam, rather than my dSLR. The camera was a canon, I don't know much else about it, it's not mine. Jhead wouldn't orient anything, so I went through them with gthumb and gimp and rotated the versicle ones manually. When I put them in the album however, they had their original orientation.

As an aside, a few of the pictures weren't just off by 90 degrees - they were upside down. I'm pretty sure the person who took the pictures never held the camera upside down.

I tried running jhead with the -norot option after the manual rotations, but it had no effect.

So what is going on? I gather it has something to do with the exif information, but I don't know enough about that.

Thanks.

Patrick Shanahan
2006-08-09 14:57:13 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

rotation behavior

* Alex Feldman [08-09-06 08:04]:

So what is going on? I gather it has something to do with the exif information, but I don't know enough about that.

Yes, probably has to do with exif. Not all programs are sensitive to orentation as denoted by exit and not all cameras record orentation in exif. A guess would be that JAlbum is orientating the photos according the the exif info, after you manually rotated them. (note: manually rotating the photos does not change the exif information).

radar.map35@free.fr
2006-08-09 21:37:07 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

rotation behavior

I agree, surely deals with EXIF. May be i mistake, but Gimp can only display them and not automatically modify the picture from it. As i Linux user, i'd use digikam or showimg. But Gqview (which exists for windows too) can do rotation from exif if the preferences is set to.

Cedric (pygmee)