RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

I wish this was a better ad

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

I wish this was a better ad Selso DaSilva 03 Aug 17:29
  I wish this was a better ad Alan Horkan 03 Aug 21:29
   I wish this was a better ad Michael Schumacher 03 Aug 22:02
    I wish this was a better ad Alan Horkan 05 Aug 01:12
Selso DaSilva
2006-08-03 17:29:42 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

This is what I find frustrating the most about people trying to sell free software without giving it is proper due. http://www.thinkall.com/product_image_over8.htm Well at least this site calls it the GIMP

Alan Horkan
2006-08-03 21:29:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Selso DaSilva wrote:

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:29:42 -0400 From: Selso DaSilva
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] I wish this was a better ad

This is what I find frustrating the most about people trying to sell free software without giving it is proper due.

So long as they provide the source code and follow the conditions of the GPL they have "given it its proper due".

http://www.thinkall.com/product_image_over8.htm Well at least this site calls it the GIMP

Since the name is unchanged and their version of gimp is apparently unmodified they are in fact providing free advertising and helping promote Free Software.

They should be encouraged for their efforts.

-- Alan H.

Michael Schumacher
2006-08-03 22:02:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Alan Horkan wrote:

Google for "Manay Software", have a closer look at the first few results, then check this company's Terms Uf Use.

HTH, Michael

Alan Horkan
2006-08-05 01:12:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:02:30 +0200 From: Michael Schumacher
To: GIMP User
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] I wish this was a better ad

Alan Horkan wrote:

Google for "Manay Software", have a closer look at the first few results, then check this company's Terms Uf Use.

It does seem to just barely fall within the bounds of charging a "modest" fee for shipping and handling, but looking at the details that does seem rather sleazy.

The true answer may be to help promote projects like theOpenCd or Ubuntu which come much closer to providing a genuinely free CD.