RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Animated GIFs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Animated GIFs John Meyer 02 Aug 04:21
Animated GIFs Scott Bicknell 02 Aug 06:22
Animated GIFs saulgoode@brickfilms.com 02 Aug 06:47
John Meyer
2006-08-02 04:21:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Animated GIFs

BTW, I stumbled across a problem on how to dial down the speed of an animated GIF. How do you do this using Gimp (Windows)?

Scott Bicknell
2006-08-02 06:22:54 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Animated GIFs

On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 7:21 pm, John Meyer wrote:

BTW, I stumbled across a problem on how to dial down the speed of an animated GIF. How do you do this using Gimp (Windows)?

That depends on whether you are using GAP or manually adjusting the timing. If you are using GAP, open the VCR Navigator and use the Framerate spin box to change the speed. If you are making manual adjustments, use the layers dialog and modify the layer comment to add or modify the timing information, e.g. "layer 1 (125ms)".

When you optimize your animation for GIF, if there are several identical frames, they will be combined into one frame and their timing information will be added together, so that when you play back the animation, there will be a pause at the frame where several were combined.

GIMP works the same way in this regard whether you are using it on Windows or any other system.

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-08-02 06:47:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Animated GIFs

Quoting John Meyer :

In order to change the speed of a GIF, you must change the delays that are specified in the GIF's layernames. I have written a short script which will do this for you.

http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/anim-settings.scm

The script allows you to change the delay and mode settings for multilayer animations (usually GIFs). It works by renaming the layers with the appropriate values: for example, "Layer 1 (100 ms) (replace)".

It only changes the names of layers that are not hidden so that you can choose which layers you want set.

You can choose to set the Mode to "(combine)", "(replace)", keep the previous value, or clear the Mode part of the layername.

By the same token, you can specify the Delay (using a positive number of milliseconds), keep the existing Delay part (set the Delay to "0"), or clear the Delay part of the layername (set the Delay to "-1").

The command will appear in the menus as "Filters->Animation->Settings..."