RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fiddling while Gimp burns.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fiddling while Gimp burns. John R. Culleton 01 Aug 22:21
  Fiddling while Gimp burns. John R. Culleton 02 Aug 14:23
  Fiddling while Gimp burns. Sven Neumann 08 Aug 12:32
John R. Culleton
2006-08-01 22:21:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Tried the latest development gimp, 2.3.9. Had a problem with Xsane. It reecognized Xsane, and when I selected it gave me the "accept" page. I said yes and then Xsane blew up. (In the process of getting a runnable 2.3.9 I had to delete som3 glibs and insatll newer ones.)
So I downloaded 2.2.12 into its own directory, and compiled it.

It gives me the inital splash sreen but then errors, such as the following:

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `GimpConfigInterface'

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion `g_type_parent (interface_type) == G_TYPE_INTERFACE' failed

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `GimpConfigInterface'

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion `g_type_parent (interface_type) == G_TYPE_INTERFACE' failed

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `GimpParamRGB'

(gimp:12480): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_param_spec_internal: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_PARAM (param_type) && param_type != G_TYPE_PARAM' failed Segmentation fault
---------------------------

So back to the drawing board. I can of course wipe out everything and start all over. But I am stilll curious about the Xsane thing. What would cause it to start and then abend? It hasn't been changed.

John R. Culleton
2006-08-02 14:23:49 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 16:21, John R. Culleton wrote:

Tried the latest development gimp, 2.3.9. Had a problem with Xsane. It reecognized Xsane, and when I selected it gave me the "accept" page. I said yes and then Xsane blew up. (In the process of getting a runnable 2.3.9 I had to delete som3 glibs and insatll newer ones.)

Don't know the disease but I found the cures. first I wiped out everything in /usr/local/share/gimp. I also wiped out the gimpish files in my home directory. 2.2.12 still didn't want to play nicely so I recompiled 2.3.9. The xsane problem may have been related to cross-partition problems so I just copied it to the plug-in directory instead of linking it. Now all I have to do is correct the persistent problems with PostScript output. It still creates offsets, horizontal and vertical, by default. This requires minor surgery on the source.

Sven Neumann
2006-08-08 12:32:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 16:21 -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:

It gives me the inital splash sreen but then errors, such as the following:

Your installation mixes libraries from GIMP 2.2 and GIMP 2.3. This is what the release notes (http://gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.3.html) explicitely tell you would be happening if you ignore the advice to choose a separate, non-standard prefix for the unstable version.

Sven