RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Building perspective objects

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Building perspective objects David Fleming 21 Jul 12:52
  Building perspective objects VytautasP 21 Jul 13:06
  Building perspective objects david burzota 22 Jul 00:28
  Building perspective objects Akkana Peck 22 Jul 03:59
   Building perspective objects Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 22 Jul 06:13
    Building perspective objects david burzota 22 Jul 10:59
     Building perspective objects Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 22 Jul 19:26
David Fleming
2006-07-21 12:52:58 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I am new to GIMP and as such have bought a book called, "Beginning GIMP, from Novice to Professional". It is copyright 2006 by Akkana Peck. Everything went well until the 4th chapter called 'Drawing'. I was asked to open a new layer with a white background. Then I was to open another layer with a transparent background. On the second layer, called 'box front', I was to generate a rectangle and fill with a wood pattern. Everything was fine to this point. Next I was to make a duplicate of 'box front' and call it 'box right side'. Then I was to move 'box right side' to the right so that its left side was next to the right side of 'box front'. Again, everything seemed fine. Then I was to choose perspective and move the right side of 'box right side' backward to form the right side of the box. First I chose the upper right side and moved it, then chose the lower right side and moved it. Again everything looked fine. I was then to click on Transform. What was there now on the new 'box right side' was a transparent frame with the original there as before; unchanged! I tried about a dozen variations on this with the same result. I finally found what would work was that, if I skipped the move step I could transform 'box right side' and then move it ... but that is a work-around, not a solution. I did the same trick with 'box left side' as for 'box right side'. Then I generated a new layer called 'box back'. I ordered the layer so that the drawing looked 3-D. The next step was to shade 'box left side' and 'box right side' using the "contrast and brightness controls" under "color tools". The 'box left side' did not change at all when I had selected that layer, and the 'box right side' changed when I selected that layer only on half the panel. It was on the part that was a union with 'box back'. What do you think? Is the approach wrong ... or is there a bug here? I am getting a little frustrated with perspective drawings.

VytautasP
2006-07-21 13:06:25 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

David Fleming wrote:

I am new to GIMP and as such have bought a book called, "Beginning GIMP, from
Novice to Professional". It is copyright 2006 by Akkana Peck. Everything went

What OS do you use? What version of GIMP? Try to change each layers size to fit image's size and then do what you've intended.

david burzota
2006-07-22 00:28:58 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I've run into this too,
In my case, it turned out that I checked "transform selection" in the perspective tool dialog, rather thank "transform layer".

Also, what VytautasP said: fit the layer to the filled rectangle by choosing Layer -> Autcrop layer from the menu in the image window. If this works right, You can see the layer border as a dashed line of some sort, around the "box side" you want to transform.

Other than that, make sure you have the correct layer selected in the layers dialog.

To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: [Gimp-user] Building perspective objects Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:52:58 -0700

I am new to GIMP and as such have bought a book called, "Beginning GIMP, from
Novice to Professional". It is copyright 2006 by Akkana Peck. Everything went
well until the 4th chapter called 'Drawing'. I was asked to open a new layer
with a white background. Then I was to open another layer with a transparent
background. On the second layer, called 'box front', I was to generate a rectangle and fill with a wood pattern. Everything was fine to this point. Next
I was to make a duplicate of 'box front' and call it 'box right side'. Then I
was to move 'box right side' to the right so that its left side was next to the
right side of 'box front'. Again, everything seemed fine. Then I was to choose
perspective and move the right side of 'box right side' backward to form the
right side of the box. First I chose the upper right side and moved it, then
chose the lower right side and moved it. Again everything looked fine. I was
then to click on Transform. What was there now on the new 'box right side' was
a transparent frame with the original there as before; unchanged! I tried about
a dozen variations on this with the same result. I finally found what would work was that, if I skipped the move step I could transform 'box right side'
and then move it ... but that is a work-around, not a solution. I did the same
trick with 'box left side' as for 'box right side'. Then I generated a new layer called 'box back'. I ordered the layer so that the drawing looked 3-D.
The next step was to shade 'box left side' and 'box right side' using the "contrast and brightness controls" under "color tools". The 'box left side' did
not change at all when I had selected that layer, and the 'box right side' changed when I selected that layer only on half the panel. It was on the part
that was a union with 'box back'. What do you think? Is the approach wrong ...
or is there a bug here? I am getting a little frustrated with perspective drawings.

Akkana Peck
2006-07-22 03:59:31 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

David Fleming writes:
[details of problem with Perspective tool]

or is there a bug here? I am getting a little frustrated with perspective drawings.

In case it isn't one of the problems that has already been suggested: How are you moving the layer? Clicking on the move tool, dragging the layer, then clicking on the perspective tool, or with the spacebar, or some other way?

How are you copying the layer? Is it possible that it's a floating layer when you run the perspective tool? (Even then it seems to work for me in 2.2.8 and 2.3.10, but I could imagine it not working in some versions.) Or that you have "Clip result" selected in the Perspective tool? (Though that gives pretty much the opposite result from what you described: the layer is transformed but you can only see the part that falls within the un-transformed layer boundaries.) Definitely check all the tool options in case one of them has been changed.

It's possible you're hitting a GIMP bug (what GIMP version are you using?) but I expect a bug like that would have been noticed, so it's probably more likely that there's a problem with tool options, with which layer is selected, or something similar.

As I try to reproduce what you're seeing, I'm doing the following (plus variations trying to reproduce the misbehavior): * New Image
* Choose the Rect select tool
* Select a rectangle
* Fill with pattern
* Copy
(the selection is still active, so this copies the selected rectangle instead of the whole layer, so you can skip the Autocrop Layer step. See the Note at the bottom of p. 154.) * Paste
* Click New in Layers dialog
* Use Move tool to move it
* Choose the Perspective tool
* Click on the layer that was just moved * Drag the handles
* Click Transform

Is that basically the same sequence you've been using?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-07-22 06:13:27 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Friday 21 July 2006 10:59 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:

* Drag the handles
* Click Transform

--         ...Akkana
    Check out my book, "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional". For more information, see http://gimpbook.com

david burzota
2006-07-22 10:59:15 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Congratulations on getting published. As someone who is very new to gimp, I'd be interested to know what these 14 basic tips are. Can you post them to the list?

From: "Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Building perspective objects Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:13:27 -0300

On Friday 21 July 2006 10:59 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:

* Drag the handles
* Click Transform

--

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-07-22 19:26:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Saturday 22 July 2006 05:59 am, david burzota wrote:

Congratulations on getting published. As someone who is very new to gimp, I'd be interested to know what these 14 basic tips are. Can you post them to the list?

Oh man,. I wrote those in Portuguese...

I am really without the needed time to translate then now, and I am not even sure if I can do that, since it was published in a printed work.

They wher things about : drawing straight lines,
drawing squares, circles and polygons, using the dock feature on gimp dialogs, using the bump-map filter,
using the olro from gradient" option on the paint tools,,a nd so on.

I assure you taht you can find far better tips on the web and around.

JS ->