RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

png and layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

png and layers Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com 29 Jun 15:33
  png and layers Olivier Ripoll 29 Jun 15:56
  png and layers Alan Horkan 01 Jul 09:37
Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com
2006-06-29 15:33:23 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

png and layers

Hello all,

I like to save layer information of a manually created logo. Unfortunately GIMP tells me that it can not save the layers as png file. Is png not capable to save this infromation or do I some thing wrong? Anyway which format can I use to save the layer information?

Thanks a lot Michael

This e-mail (and/or attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. Use or disclosure of it by anyone other than a designated addressee is unauthorized. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete this e-mail from the computer on which you received it. We thank you for notifying us immediately.

Olivier Ripoll
2006-06-29 15:56:55 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

png and layers

Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com wrote:

Hello all,

I like to save layer information of a manually created logo. Unfortunately GIMP tells me that it can not save the layers as png file. Is png not capable to save this infromation or do I some thing wrong? Anyway which format can I use to save the layer information?

Thanks a lot Michael

PNG format does not support multiple layers. You should use xcf for this.

Best regards,

Olivier

Alan Horkan
2006-07-01 09:37:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

png and layers

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com wrote:

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:33:23 +0200 From: Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: [Gimp-user] png and layers

Hello all,

PNG does not support layers. MNG is intended for multilayer or animated PNG files.

(Just in case you thought otherwise Macromedia Fireworks did create their own private version of PNG which included layers but it is secret and not actually a part of standard PNG files.)

Layered file formats you could use include XCF and PSD (and in theory you could even use TIFF, GIF, and MNG but better not to use those unless you have a specific reason to).