RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Lines and arrowheads in GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Lines and arrowheads in GIMP? Brad Simmons 28 Jun 17:14
  Lines and arrowheads in GIMP? Alan Horkan 28 Jun 17:25
  Lines and arrowheads in GIMP? Akkana Peck 28 Jun 18:18
   Lines and arrowheads in GIMP? Simon Budig 28 Jun 18:31
Brad Simmons
2006-06-28 17:14:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello fellow GIMP users,

My name is Brad Simmons, and I'm a long-time Photoshop user who is joining the ranks of graphics afficianados who are trying out GIMP. However, I've not yet been able to do something that I frequently do in Photoshop: Draw a thin, straight line with an arrow on the end.
I've used GIMP's pencil tool, and as I expected, it draw a thick, very pixellated line. For me to do callouts, I want a thin, straight line which will not be so pixellated. This is easy in Photoshop, because it has a line tool with settings where you can pre-set whether you have a fat or skinny arrowhead, and whether the arrow is placed at the beginning or end of the line.

Is there a way to do this in GIMP?

-Brad Simmons
Technical Writer, Ames, Iowa

Alan Horkan
2006-06-28 17:25:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Brad Simmons wrote:

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:14:45 -0500 From: Brad Simmons
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU. Subject: [Gimp-user] Lines and arrowheads in GIMP?

Hello fellow GIMP users,

[...]

Draw a thin, straight line with an arrow on the end.

You may want to try Inkscape http://inkscape.org which does have support for vector lines (not pixelated) with arrowheads on the end (also know as markers).

Within the GNU Image Manipulation Program you can also try Filters, Render, Gfig which might be of use. There may also be other ways I haven't thought of (path tools?).

Akkana Peck
2006-06-28 18:18:37 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Brad Simmons writes:

I've used GIMP's pencil tool, and as I expected, it draw a thick, very pixellated line. For me to do callouts, I want a thin, straight line which will not be so pixellated. This is easy in Photoshop, because it

To eliminate the pixellation, use the paintbrush tool (which anti-aliases) rather than the pencil tool.

But that doesn't solve the arrow problem. GIMP unfortunately has no tool that creates arrowheads; you either have to draw them by hand, or make a brush or separate image of the arrowhead you want to use; then rotate it appropriately for the line you've drawn. (Googling for gimp arrows got lots of hits for brushes that have already been created, but most of them have static orientation.)

It should be possible to make a gimp animated arrowhead brush that's direction sensitive. I think Graphics Muse has something like that: http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/gfxarrows.html

Simon Budig
2006-06-28 18:31:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Akkana Peck (akkana@shallowsky.com) wrote:

Brad Simmons writes:

I've used GIMP's pencil tool, and as I expected, it draw a thick, very pixellated line. For me to do callouts, I want a thin, straight line which will not be so pixellated. This is easy in Photoshop, because it

To eliminate the pixellation, use the paintbrush tool (which anti-aliases) rather than the pencil tool.

I'd recommend to create a path and stroke it. Still no arrowheads but definitely high quality thin lines.

Bye, Simon