RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Warren Baird 27 Jun 06:36
  Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Olivier Ripoll 27 Jun 09:28
   Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Sven Neumann 27 Jun 10:21
  Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Sven Neumann 27 Jun 10:23
   Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Warren Baird 27 Jun 16:19
    Dialogues staying on top in 2.3.9? Sven Neumann 27 Jun 19:02
Warren Baird
2006-06-27 06:36:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi all,

I just upgraded to 2.3.9 from the 2.2.11 bundled in ubuntu 6.06.

I'm finding that the main dialogue and the layers dialogue are staying on-top of the image window. Is this an intentional change?

I end up doing a lot of image manipulation on my laptop - and on a 1024x768 display, I really want to be able to use my entire display for the image window - I usually alt-tab back and forth between the image window and the other dialogues as needed.

This change makes the gimp almost unusable for me. Is there anyway to disable this behaviour? I've dug through the preferences page, and I couldn't see anything obvious.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be really appreciated - I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to go back to using the 2.2 family until I can figure out how to undo this...

Thanks.

Warren

Olivier Ripoll
2006-06-27 09:28:16 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Warren Baird wrote:

Hi all,

I just upgraded to 2.3.9 from the 2.2.11 bundled in ubuntu 6.06.

I'm finding that the main dialogue and the layers dialogue are staying on-top of the image window. Is this an intentional change?

Ubuntu is customising the desktop and some applications to acomodate to the users' requests and for consistency. They probably have just changed the defaults.
You can choose the window behaviour in the gimp preference window, "Window Management", and try different "hints" for the toolbox and the docks. You may also try to see what the checkbox "Toolbox and other docks are transient to the active display" can do for you. With a good window manager and taskbar, it can be a nice setting.

Best regards,

Olivier

I end up doing a lot of image manipulation on my laptop - and on a 1024x768 display, I really want to be able to use my entire display for the image window - I usually alt-tab back and forth between the image window and the other dialogues as needed.

This change makes the gimp almost unusable for me. Is there anyway to disable this behaviour? I've dug through the preferences page, and I couldn't see anything obvious.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be really appreciated - I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to go back to using the 2.2 family until I can figure out how to undo this...

Thanks.

Warren

Sven Neumann
2006-06-27 10:21:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 09:28 +0200, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Ubuntu is customising the desktop and some applications to acomodate to the users' requests and for consistency. They probably have just changed the defaults.

No, the GIMP developers have changed the defaults. It isn't decided yet if this setting will stay this way for the 2.4 release, but currently the 2.3.x development snapshots have some experimental changes to default values in order to create some user feedback.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-06-27 10:23:12 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 00:36 -0400, Warren Baird wrote:

You are supposed to use GIMP 2.2 until GIMP 2.4 has been released. The 2.3 releases are just for trying some of the new stuff, not for production work.

Sven

Warren Baird
2006-06-27 16:19:58 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

You are supposed to use GIMP 2.2 until GIMP 2.4 has been released. The 2.3 releases are just for trying some of the new stuff, not for production work.

I know - but in the past I've usually used dev releases --- this is the first time I've ran into any kind of serious problem with a dev release. I used an earlier build of 2.3 on mac os for a while until I moved back onto a linux laptop. When I started using 2.2, I really missed some of the 2.3 changes, and with 2.4 sounding kinda close, I didn't think I'd run into any issues with 2.3.9.

I assume the plan is to have this controlled by some kind of option on the preferences panel for 2.4?

Warren

Sven Neumann
2006-06-27 19:02:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:19 -0400, Warren Baird wrote:

I assume the plan is to have this controlled by some kind of option on the preferences panel for 2.4?

The option already exists in GIMP 2.2 and can already be controlled from the preferences dialog in GIMP 2.2. All we did was changing the defaults.

Sven