RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layer positioning via dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layer positioning via dialog Mauro Condarelli 21 Jun 17:33
  Layer positioning via dialog VytautasP 21 Jun 23:39
Layer positioning via dialog Mauro Condarelli 22 Jun 10:36
  Layer positioning via dialog saulgoode@brickfilms.com 22 Jun 12:50
Layer positioning via dialog Mauro Condarelli 22 Jun 15:04
Mauro Condarelli
2006-06-21 17:33:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,
I have a set of layers I need to position in the image at precise (to the pixel) positions. I *know* I can move them using the move tool, but it is a real pain. I Have been searching for some dialog where I can say exactly where in the canvas (much bigger than the layers) I want to have the (e.g.) top left corner of the layer. I have seen the Layer->Transform->Offset menu, but this gives an offset for the content into the leayer, while I need to set the offset of the layer into the image. I know It must be available somewhere, but I can't find it! :(

Thanks for Your help! Mauro

VytautasP
2006-06-21 23:39:33 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Mauro Condarelli wrote:

Hi,
I have a set of layers I need to position in the image at precise (to the pixel) positions. I *know* I can move them using the move tool, but it is a real pain. I Have been searching for some dialog where I can say exactly where in the canvas (much bigger than the layers) I want to have the (e.g.) top left corner of the layer. I have seen the Layer->Transform->Offset menu, but this gives an offset for the content into the leayer, while I need to set the offset of the layer into the image. I know It must be available somewhere, but I can't find it! :(

Thanks for Your help! Mauro

You can move with move tool with keyboard for higher precision. Choose layer with Page Up/Down key, press M and you can move chosen layer with arrows keys by 1 pixel, or by 10 pixels with arrows keys, while holding Shift button.

Mauro Condarelli
2006-06-22 10:36:50 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

==========================
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:39:33 +0300 From: VytautasP
To: Mauro Condarelli
CC: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Layer positioning via dialog ==========================

Mauro Condarelli wrote:

Hi,
I have a set of layers I need to position in the image at precise

(to the pixel) positions.

I *know* I can move them using the move tool, but it is a real

pain.

I Have been searching for some dialog where I can say exactly

where in the canvas (much bigger than the layers) I want to have the (e.g.) top left corner of the layer.

I have seen the Layer->Transform->Offset menu, but this gives

an offset for the content into the leayer, while I need to set the offset of the layer into the image.

I know It must be available somewhere, but I can't find it!

:(

Thanks for Your help!
Mauro

You can move with move tool with keyboard for higher precision. Choose
layer with Page Up/Down key, press M and you can move chosen layer with
arrows keys by 1 pixel, or by 10 pixels with arrows keys, while holding
Shift button.

Thanks.
It helps.

I would be much happier if I could have some kind of feedback. E.g.: a box showing the position of the layer into the canvas.

I have to position a huge (>100) number of (partially overlapping) layers on a regular grid. The Layers come from a single huge image that has been cut and I want to reconstruct. Relying on the image itself for positioning leads to errord that sum up :( I know the single layers were taken 1553x1038 pixel apart (horizontalxvertical), so, having the offset, it would be trivial to position them precisely.

Any further idea??

TiA Mauro

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-06-22 12:50:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Quoting Mauro Condarelli :

I would be much happier if I could have some kind of feedback. E.g.: a box showing the position of the layer into the canvas.

Any further idea??

The following Script-fu will allow you to enter numerical offsets into a dialog box. Script-fu is unable to provide a visual preview of the result but perhaps this will suit your needs (you can UNDO the operation if the result is unsatisfactory).

Save the text below as a file named "layer-offset.scm" in your scripts directory. The command will appear as "Script-Fu->Transform->Layer Offset".
------------
(define (script-fu-layer-offset image layer offset-x offset-y resize?) (gimp-image-undo-group-start image) (gimp-layer-set-offsets layer offset-x offset-y) (if (= resize? TRUE)
(gimp-image-resize-to-layers image) )
(gimp-displays-flush)
(gimp-image-undo-group-end image) )

(script-fu-register "script-fu-layer-offset" "/Script-Fu/Transform/Layer offset" "Offset the layer relative to the image" "Saul Goode"
"Saul Goode"
"6/22/2006"
""
SF-IMAGE "Image" 0
SF-DRAWABLE "Drawable" 0
SF-ADJUSTMENT "Offset X" '( 1553 0 5000 1 10 0 1 ) SF-ADJUSTMENT "Offset Y" '( 1038 0 5000 1 10 0 1 ) SF-TOGGLE "Resize image?" TRUE
)

Mauro Condarelli
2006-06-22 15:04:34 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

==========================
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 03:50:10 -0700 From: saulgoode@brickfilms.com
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Layer positioning via dialog ==========================

Quoting Mauro Condarelli :

Any further idea??

The following Script-fu will allow you to enter numerical offsets into
a dialog box. Script-fu is unable to provide a visual preview of the
result but perhaps this will suit your needs (you can UNDO the operation if the result is unsatisfactory).

Save the text below as a file named "layer-offset.scm" in your scripts
directory. The command will appear as "Script-Fu->Transform->Layer Offset".
------------

THANKS!!!

Nice :)
.. since You seem so knowledgeable...

Is there a simple way to to make a dialog that does not change the values, but updates them when I move the layer?

Is this possible at all? I mean: is it possible for a dialog to react to changes made to the image? This seems to imply some kind of notification/callback mechanism that I don't know if it's implemented at all.

I *will* try to get info about the available functions in the docs, but a pointer would be welcome. :)

TiA Mauro