RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp list@burtbicksler.com 19 Jun 20:45
  Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp Michael Schumacher 19 Jun 20:55
Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp list@burtbicksler.com 19 Jun 21:06
  Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp Michael Schumacher 20 Jun 00:59
Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp list@burtbicksler.com 20 Jun 01:16
list@burtbicksler.com
2006-06-19 20:45:40 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

I've been tearing my hair out trying to determine what I might be doing wrong, or missing. Running on FC4 with 2.2.11 Gimp.

Simple case. Create some text in a new window.

Attempt to select the text to rotate at an arbitrary angle. When I click on the text with the rotation tool selected, or go from Layer/Transform/Arbitrary Rotation the entire window becomes selected and the text does not rotate. If I do the same thing with any of the other "transformation tools" The text selects just fine and the transformation applies. I can do the canned rotations, e.g. 90 degree, 180, etc. But not arbitrary. And this isn't just text, it's anything, drawing, picture, etc.

Tried the same steps on an FC3 box here at work with 2.2.8 Gimp it works exactly as expected, I can select and rotate the text/drawing/photo to an arbitrary angle with no problem.

So, then I thought maybe this was a buglet in 2.2.11 (even though I haven't been able to locate this listed as a bug anywhere yet). So on the FC4 box I uninstalled 2.2.11, downloaded 2.2.8, built it and installed 2.2.8.

Same problem with 2.2.8 on the FC4 box, rotation to an arbitrary angle does NOT work.

It looks like the GIMP is refusing to select the actual object within the canvas, and is selecting the entire canvas when in Arbitrary rotation mode for some reason.

I think that I may even have had this issue on my FC3 box at home, but need to verify that later.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there some configuration setting that I'm missing?

If so did you find a solution?

Did I miss a discussion of this issue somewhere, if so could you point me to the thread or bug report?

Thanks, Burt

Michael Schumacher
2006-06-19 20:55:39 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

list@burtbicksler.com wrote:

Attempt to select the text to rotate at an arbitrary angle. When I click on the text with the rotation tool selected, or go from Layer/Transform/Arbitrary Rotation the entire window becomes selected and the text does not rotate.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there some configuration setting that I'm missing?

Check the tool options of the rotate tool, the "Affect" setting in particular. If it is set to Selection, the tool behaves like you did describe it about. Set it back to "Layer".

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-rotate.html

HTH, Michael

list@burtbicksler.com
2006-06-19 21:06:24 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Thanks Michael,

I had just noticed that the Affect button for Transform selection was getting selected. It was not real noticable on my display here, so I didn't pick up on that until just before you replied.

Now the question is why does it do that on the FC4 machine but not on the FC3 box? It's not a big issue now that I know what's going on, and can remember to click on Transform Layer, but it is a difference.

Thanks again, Burt

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:55:39 +0200 From: Michael Schumacher
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Arbitrary Rotation Issue with FC4 and the Gimp
To: GIMP User
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Attempt to select the text to rotate at an arbitrary angle. When I click on the text with the rotation tool selected, or go from Layer/Transform/Arbitrary Rotation the entire window becomes selected and the text does not rotate.

Check the tool options of the rotate tool, the "Affect" setting in particular. If it is set to Selection, the tool behaves like you did describe it about. Set it back to "Layer".

HTH, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2006-06-20 00:59:14 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Now the question is why does it do that on the FC4 machine but not on the FC3 box? It's not a big issue now that I know what's going on, and can remember to click on Transform Layer, but it is a difference.

The tool options are saved between sessions by default, so the tool will come up again in the same state it was left in. So maybe it is just set differently on this system?

HTH, Michael

list@burtbicksler.com
2006-06-20 01:16:02 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

HTH, Michael

OK, I figured out why it was seeming to work different on different machines. It seems that the 'Affects' setting is saved globally, instead of per image file. So if it was set to Selection instead of Layer when the GIMP exits then it is 'restored' as that setting when the GIMP starts next time.

Thanks, Burt