RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

crop menu

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

crop menu Adrian Speich 18 Jun 19:34
  crop menu Carol Spears 18 Jun 20:18
  crop menu Sven Neumann 19 Jun 20:15
   crop menu Alan Horkan 20 Jun 01:26
    crop menu Sven Neumann 20 Jun 18:56
     crop menu Alan Horkan 21 Jun 16:25
Adrian Speich
2006-06-18 19:34:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

Hi,

My crop button in in the image menu is disabled (greyed out), I have tried to crop loads of different files (jpg, bmp, gif), made sure I have write permissions on them all, and same thing.

Any ideas?

Carol Spears
2006-06-18 20:18:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 06:34:30PM +0100, Adrian Speich wrote:

Hi,

My crop button in in the image menu is disabled (greyed out), I have tried to crop loads of different files (jpg, bmp, gif), made sure I have write permissions on them all, and same thing.

Any ideas?

in the image menu, the crop option needs a selection. if there is a selection then choosing this option makes the image crop to the selection -- even if it is irregular.

in the toolbox is a croptool, which will allow you to define the crop area with some borders and/or numerically in the tool options.

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-06-19 20:15:32 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 18:34 +0100, Adrian Speich wrote:

Crop in the menus is a shortcut for cropping to the bounding box of the current selection. So it is grayed out if there is no selection. Either use the selection tools to select an area to crop, or use the Crop tool for cropping.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2006-06-20 01:26:03 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:15:32 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: Adrian Speich
Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] crop menu

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 18:34 +0100, Adrian Speich wrote:

Were you expecting the menu item to show a Crop dialog? (The presence of three dots, also known as ellipses usually indicate if a dialog requiring further input will appear.)

Crop in the menus is a shortcut for cropping to the bounding box of the current selection. So it is grayed out if there is no selection. Either use the selection tools to select an area to crop, or use the Crop tool for cropping.

Bruce Tognazzi calls this "Grey Doubt". It is very hard to figure out how to reenable menu items which are disabled like this.

I'm not sure if GTK has yet made it possible to provide tooltips or status bar messages for disabled menu items but other toolkits do which help alleviate the problem. The alternative is to present things in another way and avoid disabling menu items but there isn't any obviously better alternative in this situation.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org Abiword http://www.abisource.com
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

Alan's Diary http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Sven Neumann
2006-06-20 18:56:25 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 00:26 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

I'm not sure if GTK has yet made it possible to provide tooltips or status bar messages for disabled menu items but other toolkits do which help alleviate the problem. The alternative is to present things in another way and avoid disabling menu items but there isn't any obviously better alternative in this situation.

GTK+ doesn't allow to set tooltips or statusbar messages for insensitive menu items. Otherwise it would be simple to inform the user about the reason and we would have long done that.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2006-06-21 16:25:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

crop menu

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:56:25 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] crop menu

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 00:26 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

GTK+ doesn't allow to set tooltips or statusbar messages for insensitive menu items.

That is what I thought. I had a fair idea but wasnt totally sure was GTK was the problem but I was hoping it might have been improved by now so I didn't want to say for sure it wasn't possible.

-- Alan