RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9 Tom Williams 13 Jun 05:55
  Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9 Stephen Norris 13 Jun 06:02
   Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9 Tom Williams 13 Jun 06:17
    Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9 Olivier Ripoll 13 Jun 09:03
     Help needed with photo touch-up using Gimp 2.3.9 saulgoode@brickfilms.com 13 Jun 11:28
Tom Williams
2006-06-13 05:55:43 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I have a JPEG that's 846x648 in dimensions taken by a digital camera. The image is rather dark and I'm wanting to lighten up it and enhance it a bit. I've used the Levels and Curves filters to adjust colors and lighten the image but the results aren't turning out as well as I would like.

So, I'm coming to you, the Gimp experts for help. :) Would it be best to post my image to the mailing list (it's about 58k in size) or should I post a link to it on a site where I can host it?

I've been looking at various tutorials but they just don't quite help enough.

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Stephen Norris
2006-06-13 06:02:53 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 20:55 -0700, Tom Williams wrote:

I have a JPEG that's 846x648 in dimensions taken by a digital camera. The image is rather dark and I'm wanting to lighten up it and enhance it a bit. I've used the Levels and Curves filters to adjust colors and lighten the image but the results aren't turning out as well as I would like.

So, I'm coming to you, the Gimp experts for help. :) Would it be best to post my image to the mailing list (it's about 58k in size) or should I post a link to it on a site where I can host it?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Put up a link. Do you have a larger version of the image, that's a pretty small photo.

Stephen

Tom Williams
2006-06-13 06:17:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Stephen Norris wrote:

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 20:55 -0700, Tom Williams wrote:

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Put up a link. Do you have a larger version of the image, that's a pretty small photo.

Stephen

Unfortunately, that's the only image I have.

Here is a link:

http://bay-online-media.com/tom/eq02.jpg

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Olivier Ripoll
2006-06-13 09:03:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Tom Williams wrote:

Unfortunately, that's the only image I have.

Here is a link:

http://bay-online-media.com/tom/eq02.jpg

This image lacks blue. I think you can have a quite good result in the levels dialogue by touching up the green and blue channels only (mainly the blue). The "log" scale histogram icon on the top-right of the dialogue would also be a good help.

Best regards,

Olivier

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-06-13 11:28:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

A simple method I often try for adjusting the exposure of photos is to duplicate the layer, desaturate and color-invert the duplicate, and then set the Layer Mode of the duplicate to Overlay (or Soft Light, depending on the image). This has the effect of lightening the dark areas and darkening the light areas. The Opacity of the duplicate layer can usually be adjusted to provide a pleasing result.