RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Editing the alpha channel

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fwd: Re: Convert photo to line drawing Vytautas Povilaitis 26 May 20:04
  4477457C.8090809@recife.pe.... Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha 26 May 20:14
   Editing the alpha channel scott s. 19 Jun 22:45
    Editing the alpha channel saulgoode@brickfilms.com 20 Jun 01:54
     Editing the alpha channel scott s. 22 Jun 04:56
      Editing the alpha channel saulgoode@brickfilms.com 22 Jun 07:15
Vytautas Povilaitis
2006-05-26 20:04:55 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Fwd: Re: Convert photo to line drawing

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Convert photo to line drawing Date: Friday 26 May 2006 19:58
To: Royce.Souther@silicontao.com

On Friday 26 May 2006 18:18, Royce Souther wrote:

Found the answer.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sketch_Effect/

Pretty much the same result would be Filters>Edge Detect>Difference of Gaussians Then, if needed:
Layers>Colors>Desaturate
and
Layers>Colors>Levels.

That is true for GIMP 2.2.6

scott s.
2006-06-19 22:45:34 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I seem to be missing a basic concept. If I open an image with alpha channel, I can't find any way to edit the alpha channel. I end up using other software to save the alpha as a grayscale and editing that. That requires converting my 24 bit image to grayscale too so I can load the alpha as a layer for editing. What I want is to keep the 24 bit rgb image and edit the alpha as an 8 bit layer. FWIW, I generally use 32 bit targa format for editing image with alpha., because I don't have any filter for directX compressed formats (DXT1, DXT3).

scott s. .

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-06-20 01:54:28 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Quoting "scott s." :

I seem to be missing a basic concept. If I open an image with alpha channel, I can't find any way to edit the alpha channel. I end up using other software to save the alpha as a grayscale and editing that. That requires converting my 24 bit image to grayscale too so I can load the alpha as a layer for editing. What I want is to keep the 24 bit rgb image and edit the alpha as an 8 bit layer. FWIW, I generally use 32 bit targa format for editing image with alpha., because I don't have any filter for directX compressed formats (DXT1, DXT3).

Perform a "Layers->Mask->Add Layer Mask" and select "Transfer layer's alpha channel" as the initialize option. You can then edit the "alpha channel" by editing the layer mask. When you wish to transfer your edited layer mask back to the alpha channel, perform a "Layers->Mask->Apply Layer Mask".

scott s.
2006-06-22 04:56:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

Perform a "Layers->Mask->Add Layer Mask" and select "Transfer layer's alpha channel" as the initialize option. You can then edit the "alpha channel" by editing the layer mask. When you wish to transfer your edited layer mask back to the alpha channel, perform a "Layers->Mask->Apply Layer Mask".

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-06-22 07:15:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Quoting "scott s." :

The advantage to editing the channel mask is that you can set a color for the mask, which makes it easier to see just what you are doing.
When I edit the layer mask, other than modulating the transparency of the connected layer,
I can't precisely see the effect.

If you wish to see just the mask itself, you can use the "Layer->Mask->Show mask" command. This will show the "effect" of either painting or filtering the mask.

If you wish to have a partially transparent (tinted) view of the mask (with your image behind it), you can perform a "Layer->Mask->Mask to selection" and then use Quickmask mode to edit the mask. After you are done editing the Quickmask, you can delete the layer's mask and perform an Add Layer Mask and choose "From Selection" for the Initialize option. (There may be better ways to accomplish this, and you may still prefer the channel method you are currently using.)

there is one other thing: In the add layer mask there is an option

Layer's alpha channel but also
Transfer layer's alpha channel

What is the difference?

The first option copies the alpha channel to the layer mask but leaves the alpha channel intact. The second option not only copies the alpha channel to a mask, but setsthe alpha channel to WHITE as well (i.e., sets it to fully opaque).

If you try the two different options on the following image, the difference should become apparent.

http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Temp/GIMP-challenge.png

I suspect you will find "transferring" the alpha channel to a mask to be more useful for your purposes.