RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp bundled with Computer Arts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp bundled with Computer Arts Paul Bloch 24 May 05:55
  Gimp bundled with Computer Arts Alan Horkan 24 May 22:34
   Gimp bundled with Computer Arts Julian Oliver 28 May 20:30
    Gimp bundled with Computer Arts Alan Horkan 29 May 02:31
     Gimp bundled with Computer Arts Paul Bloch 29 May 05:11
Paul Bloch
2006-05-24 05:55:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,
So I don't know if everyone already knows this but I've seen Gimp bundled with Computer Arts magazine's (computerarts.co.uk) CD a few times now. For those of you who don't know Computer Arts is a very popular design magazine with awesome tutorials. Has anybody heard back from them or designers that have used the software? I'm willing to follow up and ask them about it. It would be great to hear from a large base of pro designers about Gimp.

-Paul

Alan Horkan
2006-05-24 22:34:25 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Paul Bloch wrote:

Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:55:17 -0400 From: Paul Bloch
To: GIMPUser
Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp bundled with Computer Arts

Hello, So I don't know if everyone already knows this but I've seen Gimp bundled with Computer Arts magazine's (computerarts.co.uk) CD a few times now. For those of you who don't know Computer Arts is a very popular design magazine with awesome tutorials. Has anybody heard back from them or designers that have used the software? I'm willing to follow up and ask them about it. It would be great to hear from a large base of pro designers about Gimp.

"Pro designers" you mispelled "pro developers with patches or lots of sponsorship money" :P

I'd be very surprised if readers of Computer Arts magazine had any new comments that haven't already been discussed on the mailing list or discussed.

Did they include any kind of a review? Based on their past comments I'd expect lots of criticism for not being more like photoshop. Generally they do complain about programs for not copying or doing better than the market leaders.

They probably also neglected to mention features like PSPI which allows Photoshop plugins to be used, and didn't mention the photoshop style keybindings which can be found in psmenurc.

Julian Oliver
2006-05-28 20:30:05 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

..on Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:34:25PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

Hello, So I don't know if everyone already knows this but I've seen Gimp bundled with Computer Arts magazine's (computerarts.co.uk) CD a few times now. For those of you who don't know Computer Arts is a very popular design magazine with awesome tutorials. Has anybody heard back from them or designers that have used the software? I'm willing to follow up and ask them about it. It would be great to hear from a large base of pro designers about Gimp.

"Pro designers" you mispelled "pro developers with patches or lots of sponsorship money" :P

I'd be very surprised if readers of Computer Arts magazine had any new comments that haven't already been discussed on the mailing list or discussed.

Did they include any kind of a review? Based on their past comments I'd expect lots of criticism for not being more like photoshop. Generally they do complain about programs for not copying or doing better than the market leaders.

They probably also neglected to mention features like PSPI which allows Photoshop plugins to be used, and didn't mention the photoshop style keybindings which can be found in psmenurc.

Along with valid criticisms, like that of Gimp's focus model under, which (by default) continues to frustrate those that both have and haven't had experience with Photoshop. You know, where clicking on your maximised image instantly 'hides' the most critical component of application functionality, the Tools panel itself.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to arrogantly flip-off criticisms from Computer Arts magazine. If they are including the Gimp on their Magazine CD, then all the better for us. They don't pay money to host content on their CD to purposely depreciate it. If they fail to neglect certain features it's because they aren't present enough to their writers to come into consideration. The last thing a technology journalist wants is to look the fool before their readers.

Furthermore their criticisms are important whether you like them or not. They have influence on the propogation of the Gimp amongst users otherwise unaware of it's presence altogether, free software hundreds of people have worked on.

Regards,

Julian

Alan Horkan
2006-05-29 02:31:43 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Julian Oliver wrote:

Along with valid criticisms, like that of Gimp's focus model under, which (by default) continues to frustrate those that both have and haven't had experience with Photoshop. You know, where clicking on your maximised image instantly 'hides' the most critical component of application functionality, the Tools panel itself.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to arrogantly flip-off criticisms from Computer Arts magazine.

If you are accusing me of being hasty or arrogant then you would be totally wrong. Read my comments more closely. Then read my comments over the past few years including regular suggestions things should more closely follow photoshop.

Point is most things that can be said have been said already, and I doubt Computer Arts have anything much to add since they last reviewed Gimp 2.x between 12-18 months ago. It would be great if the original comment had included some detail of whatever review/criticsm the magazine provided.

If they are including the Gimp on their Magazine CD, then all the better for us.

Well yes and no. More developers is what is really needed. More users are unlikely to say much that hasn't been said already (although some of is worth repeating) and if they have comments and criticisms it would be helpful if they would comment on the mailing list and file bug reports or feature requests.

Furthermore their criticisms are important whether you like them or not.

I largely agree with a lot of their criticisms and have been trying to pass on the sentiment on various occasions. Their failure to publicise features their readers would appreciate is only partly their fault, and for example I would very much like for it to be possible to select the psmenurc from within the preferences dialog and it would be great if PSPI could be included by default (but licensing issues might prevent that).

They have influence on the propogation of the Gimp amongst users otherwise unaware of it's presence altogether, free software hundreds of people have worked on.

The importance of open standards was discussed in another thread, in in that case more users helps reinforce a standard. The other perceived benefit of more users is more contributors but that doesn't seem to have work out with the development team staying about the same size for many years (hopefully the summer of code students will stick around after they are finished their projects).

Paul Bloch
2006-05-29 05:11:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I think you're riht that they haven't reviewed Gimp in about a year, although say still seem to include it on their CDs from time to time. I think it would be interesting though to actually communicate with them and perhaps structure something that would inspire developers perhaps. It seems to me that Gimp is in a tough place as perhaps it's been around long enough that many people may not think to contribute to it compared to a newer project. I don't know if you'd agree with that statement, it's just a thought. So what could do it? What could push Gimp and other open source apps over the edge with both users and developers?

I have an idea...but I'll build the suspense. ;)

On 5/28/06, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Julian Oliver wrote:

Hello, So I don't know if everyone already knows this but I've seen Gimp

bundled

with Computer Arts magazine's (computerarts.co.uk) CD a few times

now. For

those of you who don't know Computer Arts is a very popular design

magazine

with awesome tutorials. Has anybody heard back from them or

designers that

have used the software? I'm willing to follow up and ask them about

it. It

would be great to hear from a large base of pro designers about

Gimp.

Did they include any kind of a review? Based on their past comments

I'd

expect lots of criticism for not being more like photoshop. Generally they do complain about programs for not copying or doing better than

the

market leaders.

They probably also neglected to mention features like PSPI which

allows

Photoshop plugins to be used, and didn't mention the photoshop style keybindings which can be found in psmenurc.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to arrogantly flip-off criticisms from Computer Arts magazine.

If you are accusing me of being hasty or arrogant then you would be totally wrong. Read my comments more closely. Then read my comments over the past few years including regular suggestions things should more closely follow photoshop.

Point is most things that can be said have been said already, and I doubt Computer Arts have anything much to add since they last reviewed Gimp 2.x between 12-18 months ago. It would be great if the original comment had included some detail of whatever review/criticsm the magazine provided.

If they are including the Gimp on their Magazine CD, then all the better for us.

Well yes and no. More developers is what is really needed. More users are unlikely to say much that hasn't been said already (although some of is worth repeating) and if they have comments and criticisms it would be helpful if they would comment on the mailing list and file bug reports or feature requests.

Furthermore their criticisms are important whether you like them or not.

I largely agree with a lot of their criticisms and have been trying to pass on the sentiment on various occasions. Their failure to publicise features their readers would appreciate is only partly their fault, and for example I would very much like for it to be possible to select the psmenurc from within the preferences dialog and it would be great if PSPI could be included by default (but licensing issues might prevent that).

They have influence on the propogation of the Gimp amongst users otherwise unaware of it's presence altogether, free software hundreds of people have worked on.

The importance of open standards was discussed in another thread, in in that case more users helps reinforce a standard. The other perceived benefit of more users is more contributors but that doesn't seem to have work out with the development team staying about the same size for many years (hopefully the summer of code students will stick around after they are finished their projects).

-- Alan