RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adding a watermark and copyright info...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adding a watermark and copyright info... Mirageii 15 May 11:41
  Adding a watermark and copyright info... Tim Jedlicka 16 May 04:35
   Adding a watermark and copyright info... Rikard Johnels 16 May 09:04
    Adding a watermark and copyright info... Mirageii 16 May 10:56
     Adding a watermark and copyright info... Vytautas P. 16 May 11:56
     Adding a watermark and copyright info... JC Dill 19 May 18:38
Mirageii
2006-05-15 11:41:04 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,

I just have a simple question on how to add a watermark to an image? Essentially, this is what i'm looking to do:

Add this text--"© GIMP NEWBIE"--to an image and have this copyright information appear as a watermark on the photo.

Can someone please provide the detailed steps on how to do this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much. --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Adding-a-watermark-and-copyright-info...-t1619869.html#a4389316 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

Tim Jedlicka
2006-05-16 04:35:31 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 5/15/06, Mirageii wrote:

I just have a simple question on how to add a watermark to an image?

I'm sure there are tutorials someplace on this, but here is my quick overview.

Several ways of doing this. If you just want a copyright on one image then in Gimp
open the text tool (a big T). The tricky part is the (C) symbol. Presumably there are keystrokes to get a (C) to appear but it has never worked for me so I use gucharmap and select a (C) from there. You may want to knock down the opacity of the text layer (from the layer dialogue).

If you have several images to copyright I use imagemagick's composite. Once I've created a file that just has my copyright statement in it (copyd.png) I do:
composite -gravity SouthEast -geometry +100+100 /home/bonzo/photos/copyd.png orig.jpg new.jpg

I'm no lawyer, but I read that to be "legal" a copyright must have the symbol, (C) is not good enough, the date, and an identifing "name".

Rikard Johnels
2006-05-16 09:04:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 04:35, Tim Jedlicka wrote:

On 5/15/06, Mirageii wrote:

I just have a simple question on how to add a watermark to an image?

I'm sure there are tutorials someplace on this, but here is my quick overview.

Several ways of doing this. If you just want a copyright on one image then in Gimp
open the text tool (a big T). The tricky part is the (C) symbol. Presumably there are keystrokes to get a (C) to appear but it has never worked for me so I use gucharmap and select a (C) from there. You may want to knock down the opacity of the text layer (from the layer dialogue).

If you have several images to copyright I use imagemagick's composite. Once I've created a file that just has my copyright statement in it (copyd.png) I do:
composite -gravity SouthEast -geometry +100+100 /home/bonzo/photos/copyd.png orig.jpg new.jpg

I'm no lawyer, but I read that to be "legal" a copyright must have the symbol, (C) is not good enough, the date, and an identifing "name".

Use the watermark script.
It does exactly what you want.
I cant for my life remember who wrote it. But who ever is was shall have all the credit.
Its a marvelous little piece :)

The copyright symbol "©" on MY keyboard is + C There are other ways to get it into a text. (eg. copy from another text or use special character inserts in whatever program you are using.)

This is the script:

---Start Script ---

; Write a watermark in a corner of the image

; Next line wrapped!!! (define (script-fu-watermark image drawable text font pixsize location \ \ opacity)

(let*

; Save the foreground color

((old-fg (car (gimp-palette-get-foreground))))

; Set the foreground color to white

(gimp-palette-set-foreground '(255 255 255))

(let*

; Set the X and Y locations offset by 10 pixels from the chosen corner

((imagewid (car (gimp-image-width image))) (imagehgt (car (gimp-image-height image)))

(ytext (cond ((= location 2) 0)))

(textwid (car (gimp-text-get-extents-fontname text pixsize 0 font)))

(xtext (cond ((= (fmod location 2) 0) 10) ((= (fmod location 2) 1) (- (- imagewid textwid) 10))))

; Create a layer with the watermark text

(tlayer (car (gimp-text-fontname image -1 xtext ytext text -1 TRUE pixsize 0 font))))

; Bump map the watermark layer

(plug-in-bump-map 1 image tlayer tlayer 135 45 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 0)

; Set the opacity of the watermark layer

(gimp-layer-set-opacity tlayer opacity)

; Combine the original image layer and the watermark layer

(gimp-image-flatten image) )

; Restore the old foreground color

(gimp-palette-set-foreground old-fg) )

; Update the display

(gimp-displays-flush) )

(script-fu-register "script-fu-watermark" "/Script-Fu/MyScript/Watermark" "Watermark"
"Doug Reynolds"
"Doug Reynolds"
"2001/04/12"
"RGB*, GRAY*"
SF-IMAGE "Input Image" 0 SF-DRAWABLE "Input Drawable" 0 SF-STRING "Text String" "This is where your text goes" SF-FONT "Font" "-itc-bookman-demi-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" SF-ADJUSTMENT "Size (pixels)" '(30 0 1000 5 10 0 1) SF-OPTION "Location" '("Lower left" "Lower right" "Upper left" "Upper right") SF-ADJUSTMENT "Opacity" '(20 0 100 5 10 0 1) )

--- end script ---

Hope it helps.

Mirageii
2006-05-16 10:56:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Thanks for the replies.

I've searched and found a few GIMP Documentations but none has any information about creating a watermark on images, and even fewer has any mentions of simply adding text to an image.

From awhile ago when i was at a bookstore i remember picking up a book on

the GIMP. This was the one and only book i remember ever seeing being written on the GIMP. While i was Googling for GIMP information i happen to find that book that i'd once held in my hands at the bookstore. The title is Grokking the GIMP and the full version is online here: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

But even this book doesn't mention much about using text, and nothing about watermarking.

I've played around with the GIMP and i was able to add text to images. The copyright (c) symbol is supposed to be Alt+0169, according to Windows Character Map, but in the GIMP Text Editor box, where you type in your text, pressing Alt+0169 yields absolutely nothing, no response. It simply doesn't work. So what i did was i simply copied the (c) symbol from the Windows Character Map (in WinXP: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map) and pasted it into the GIMP Text Editor box, followed with my name to create the copyright information. After doing that, i flatten the image and saved it.

In Linux, i pretty much did the same thing to get the (c) symbol into my images. In addition to using the Character Map, i also used OpenOffice Writer. I simply create the (c) symbol in Writer, then copy and paste it into the GIMP Text Editor box.

With all that being said, i may sound like i know what i'm doing but the truth is i'm really just a GIMP newbie. The only reason i know about the flatten image part is because i read it in a Photoshop book plus, the GIMP gives you an error if you try to save an image without flattening it after you've added text to it.

As for the legality of a copyright statement, i have no ideas about that. I've seen some without the date. For example, my Netscape e-mail has this copyright information: © Netscape Communications Corporation, Inc. All rights Reserved. While Nabble's is: © 2005-2006 Nabble, Inc.

As for scripts, well, that's just way ahead of me at this point; i'll have to read a book or many tutorials before i can understand how to use those. But thanks for the information, though.

When i started looking for information on the GIMP and couldn't find any, i started looking at books written for Photopshop. It was in one Photoshop book (Photoshop Elements...something, something by Scott Kelby) that i found a little tutorial on how to create a watermark copyright. Since the GIMP is comparable to Photoshop (certain versions, i presume) in functionality and usage, i perused some PS books.

Anyway, getting to the point, this is what i found in the above mentioned Photoshop book, and this was what i was trying to do in the GIMP by following these instructions from the PS book:

Watermarking and Adding Copyright Info Step 1
Create a template. Open new document in RGB mode (72 ppi low-res, 300 ppi high-res, etc.). Click on the Foreground color swatch (at the bottom of the Toolbox) and choose a medium gray color in the Color Picker, click OK. Now, press Alt-Backspace to fill the Background layer with your medium gray. Press the letter "D" to make your Foreground color black.

Step 2 Get the Type tool, choose a font. In the Options Bar, click on the Center Text option. Hold the Alt key and type 0169 to create a copyright symbol and name or other information to have for the copyright. Hide the Background layer from view by going to the Layers palette and clicking on the Eye icon in the first column besides the Background layer.

Step 3 Adjust text sizes to desired sized.

Step 4 Got to the Effects palette. Double-click on the effect named Clear Emboss. This applies a beveled effect, and makes the fill transparent.

Step 5 Now make the Background layer visible again by clicking the Layers palette and clicking in the first column where the Eye icon used to be. you can now see the Clear Emboss effect clearly.

Step 6 Open a photo, and have the watermark file open as well.

Step 7 Switch to the Move tool, then click-and-drag the large copyright symbol (in the embossed watermark file), and drop it onto the photo (you're dragging a large layer between documents).

Step 8 Resize the copyright symbol as needed.

Save file.

These were the notes i made. Again, this was a tutorial/exercise for you to follow using Photoshop Elements (i think). When i tried to follow them using the GIMP, i couldn't figure out Step 4, and Step 7 didn't even work.

So if anybody knows how to achieve the results outlined in the above instructions using the GIMP, please clue me in. Much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

-- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Adding-a-watermark-and-copyright-info...-t1619869.html#a4405190 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

Vytautas P.
2006-05-16 11:56:09 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Wouldn't it be more convenient just open image, press t for text tool and write your copyright info. Then you can reduce text layer's opacity and then save whole picture in any format.

2006.05.16 11:56, Mirageii paraš?:

Thanks for the replies.

I've searched and found a few GIMP Documentations but none has any information about creating a watermark on images, and even fewer has any mentions of simply adding text to an image.

From awhile ago when i was at a bookstore i remember picking up a book on

the GIMP. This was the one and only book i remember ever seeing being written on the GIMP. While i was Googling for GIMP information i happen to find that book that i'd once held in my hands at the bookstore. The title is Grokking the GIMP and the full version is online here: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

But even this book doesn't mention much about using text, and nothing about watermarking.

I've played around with the GIMP and i was able to add text to images. The copyright (c) symbol is supposed to be Alt+0169, according to Windows Character Map, but in the GIMP Text Editor box, where you type in your text, pressing Alt+0169 yields absolutely nothing, no response. It simply doesn't work. So what i did was i simply copied the (c) symbol from the Windows Character Map (in WinXP: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map) and pasted it into the GIMP Text Editor box, followed with my name to create the copyright information. After doing that, i flatten the image and saved it.

In Linux, i pretty much did the same thing to get the (c) symbol into my images. In addition to using the Character Map, i also used OpenOffice Writer. I simply create the (c) symbol in Writer, then copy and paste it into the GIMP Text Editor box.

With all that being said, i may sound like i know what i'm doing but the truth is i'm really just a GIMP newbie. The only reason i know about the flatten image part is because i read it in a Photoshop book plus, the GIMP gives you an error if you try to save an image without flattening it after you've added text to it.

As for the legality of a copyright statement, i have no ideas about that. I've seen some without the date. For example, my Netscape e-mail has this copyright information: © Netscape Communications Corporation, Inc. All rights Reserved. While Nabble's is: © 2005-2006 Nabble, Inc.

As for scripts, well, that's just way ahead of me at this point; i'll have to read a book or many tutorials before i can understand how to use those. But thanks for the information, though.

When i started looking for information on the GIMP and couldn't find any, i started looking at books written for Photopshop. It was in one Photoshop book (Photoshop Elements...something, something by Scott Kelby) that i found a little tutorial on how to create a watermark copyright. Since the GIMP is comparable to Photoshop (certain versions, i presume) in functionality and usage, i perused some PS books.

Anyway, getting to the point, this is what i found in the above mentioned Photoshop book, and this was what i was trying to do in the GIMP by following these instructions from the PS book:

Watermarking and Adding Copyright Info Step 1
Create a template. Open new document in RGB mode (72 ppi low-res, 300 ppi high-res, etc.). Click on the Foreground color swatch (at the bottom of the Toolbox) and choose a medium gray color in the Color Picker, click OK. Now, press Alt-Backspace to fill the Background layer with your medium gray. Press the letter "D" to make your Foreground color black.

Step 2 Get the Type tool, choose a font. In the Options Bar, click on the Center Text option. Hold the Alt key and type 0169 to create a copyright symbol and name or other information to have for the copyright. Hide the Background layer from view by going to the Layers palette and clicking on the Eye icon in the first column besides the Background layer.

Step 3 Adjust text sizes to desired sized.

Step 4 Got to the Effects palette. Double-click on the effect named Clear Emboss. This applies a beveled effect, and makes the fill transparent.

Step 5 Now make the Background layer visible again by clicking the Layers palette and clicking in the first column where the Eye icon used to be. you can now see the Clear Emboss effect clearly.

Step 6 Open a photo, and have the watermark file open as well.

Step 7 Switch to the Move tool, then click-and-drag the large copyright symbol (in the embossed watermark file), and drop it onto the photo (you're dragging a large layer between documents).

Step 8 Resize the copyright symbol as needed.

Save file.

These were the notes i made. Again, this was a tutorial/exercise for you to follow using Photoshop Elements (i think). When i tried to follow them using the GIMP, i couldn't figure out Step 4, and Step 7 didn't even work.

So if anybody knows how to achieve the results outlined in the above instructions using the GIMP, please clue me in. Much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

-- View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/Adding-a-watermark-and-copyright-info...-t1619869.htm l#a4405190 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

JC Dill
2006-05-19 18:38:31 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Mirageii wrote:

The
copyright (c) symbol is supposed to be Alt+0169, according to Windows Character Map, but in the GIMP Text Editor box, where you type in your text, pressing Alt+0169 yields absolutely nothing, no response. It simply doesn't work.

You have to use the numbers on the keypad, not the numbers in the row above the letters on your keyboard. If you are using a laptop, there should be a function key that swaps 7,8,9,u,i,o,j,k,l,m (your keypad number set might be on different letters) into numbers. So you have to activate the swap function (on my laptop this is fctn+f11), then type alt+0169, then turn the swap function off (fctn+f11).

It works fine when you do it that way: ©

jc