RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install Felix Karpfen 10 May 23:09
  gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install Carol Spears 12 May 05:58
   gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install Axel Wernicke 12 May 07:39
    gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install Carol Spears 12 May 08:04
gimp-help-2-0.10 - failed install Felix Karpfen 12 May 23:57
Felix Karpfen
2006-05-10 23:09:28 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Despite my rank-amateur-status, I downloaded the source package and successfully completed the "configure" stage.

However, I crashed at Square One of "make" with the following message:

| /home/felixk/downloads/gimp-help-2-0.10/stylesheets/plainhtml.xsl | line 7 element import xsl:import : unable to load | http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/profile-chunk.x | sl make: *** [stamps/html.cs.stamp] Error 5

It looked to me as though this step should have been done while I am online.

If this is the case, then is the following entry in the INSTALL file of gimp-help-2-0.10 relevant:

| By default we do not allow the XSLT processor to attempt to download | external resources. If you have a fast internet connection, it may be | useful to allow xsltproc to fetch DTDs or entities over the network?:

For the record - I do _not_ have a fast internet connection. I use a 56k modem and do most of my work offline.

Felix Karpfen

Carol Spears
2006-05-12 05:58:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:09:28AM +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

If this is the case, then is the following entry in the INSTALL file of gimp-help-2-0.10 relevant:

| By default we do not allow the XSLT processor to attempt to download | external resources. If you have a fast internet connection, it may be | useful to allow xsltproc to fetch DTDs or entities over the network?:

i actually have been waiting for Roman Joost to be around because my attention has been drawn to an application which is very very (to me) simple to use and does not need all of that extra software and apparently the good internet connection as well.

i built these docs from a simple text file in hardly no time: http://www.gimp.org/docs/python/pygimp.html and editing them was extremely easy (not unlike writing in a wiki).

http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/

if the people in charge don't show up to do something soon, i will get the sgml and use one of the gimp computers to convert them myself.

things were so much better when the gimp project was made of a bunch of people working together. i am very sorry that those days have gone (now we get funding to get things done). that being said, i will work happily together with myself, especially since i have been provided with some sane software and a sane format to work with....

carol

Axel Wernicke
2006-05-12 07:39:07 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi,

Am 12.05.2006 um 05:58 schrieb Carol Spears:

If this is the case, then is the following entry in the INSTALL file of
gimp-help-2-0.10 relevant:

| By default we do not allow the XSLT processor to attempt to download
| external resources. If you have a fast internet connection, it may be
| useful to allow xsltproc to fetch DTDs or entities over the network?:

well, could you tell us a bit more about your environment? HP-UX? Solaris? Win? OS X??
That might help. Indeed is it the case that we need a _working_ docbook dtd to validate and build the manual. So, if its installed and working properly on your machine, no internet connection is needed for the build process.

i actually have been waiting for Roman Joost to be around because my attention has been drawn to an application which is very very (to me) simple to use and does not need all of that extra software and apparently the good internet connection as well.

Hi Carol, Roman is still on vacation for a week or so. But why you don't share your thoughts with us on the gimp-docs list?

i built these docs from a simple text file in hardly no time: http://www.gimp.org/docs/python/pygimp.html and editing them was extremely easy (not unlike writing in a wiki).

I'll have a look at it

if the people in charge don't show up to do something soon, i will get the sgml and use one of the gimp computers to convert them myself.

ugh? speak with us, please :)

carol

greetings, lexA

Carol Spears
2006-05-12 08:04:51 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

hi axel,
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 07:39:07AM +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Am 12.05.2006 um 05:58 schrieb Carol Spears:

Hi Carol, Roman is still on vacation for a week or so. But why you don't share your thoughts with us on the gimp-docs list?

good for roman!

sometimes, it is simply easier to do something than it is to talk about it. i was a really good team worker and it destroyed my life. i liked that life.

this is the way things are done with gimp stuff now, btw. if a project is deemed "abandoned" or wrongly installed, it is no big deal to take it over and do it right.

i did not want to work this way, however, lately the volunteers we get seem to need payment as incentive to start and complete a project.

i am sorry sorry sorry that things work this way. it is not the world i envisioned.

there is the need for a documentation system that can be maintained easily. and a system that people can use.

I'll have a look at it

i would appreciate your opinions about it. i actually could edit that pygimp documentation without installing anything in addition to the software itself. i think ircd can handle the stuff that is needed to convert it.

ugh? speak with us, please :)

i went to the rapha-awful school of volunteerism.

i am now watching how google messes up things that are messed up.

it is so much easier to just run this software and do the dirty little conversion and make this stuff so that people can use it.

feel free to write me in private if you have problems with me making this conversion.

carol

Felix Karpfen
2006-05-12 23:57:15 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Fri, 12 May 2006 07:39:07 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote ():

well, could you tell us a bit more about your environment? HP-UX? Solaris? Win? OS X??

My fault.

I thought that the full header of the message would tell all.

I use Debian 3.1r2

Felix Karpfen