RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

the order of downscaling in a image editing workflow.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

the order of downscaling in a image editing workflow. steven woody 13 Apr 07:45
  the order of downscaling in a image editing workflow. Stephen Norris 13 Apr 08:05
   the order of downscaling in a image editing workflow. steven woody 13 Apr 08:13
steven woody
2006-04-13 07:45:01 UTC (about 18 years ago)

hi,

i usually need different size of image for different situations ( web publish, sharing with friends, etc. ). so it seems practical to complete all editing on the image before do the downscaling. quite often, i will use a utility such as ImageMagic's convert to do the downscaling and converting to other suitable formats.

but, gimp's tutorial suggests that one should do some editing tasks ( such as sharping ) after downscaling ( or upscaling ). i want to know why and how do you do that ?

what i expected workflow of image editing is:

1) improve contrast and color balance in gimp 2) despeckle
3) sharping
4) add frame/border
5) downscaling to various of sizes and convert to other formats using a script-able tool.

thanks.

-- woody

Stephen Norris
2006-04-13 08:05:38 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 13:45 +0800, steven woody wrote:

hi,

i usually need different size of image for different situations ( web publish, sharing with friends, etc. ). so it seems practical to complete all editing on the image before do the downscaling. quite often, i will use a utility such as ImageMagic's convert to do the downscaling and converting to other suitable formats.

but, gimp's tutorial suggests that one should do some editing tasks ( such as sharping ) after downscaling ( or upscaling ). i want to know why and how do you do that ?

3) sharping
4) add frame/border
5) downscaling to various of sizes and convert to other formats using a script-able tool.

thanks.

Sharpening after downsampling is normal - the downsampling operation makes the image more fuzzy as a natural consequence, so you generally have to sharpen afterwards. Since you need to do that, there's no point sharpening beforehand as well.

Stephen

steven woody
2006-04-13 08:13:06 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 4/13/06, Stephen Norris wrote:

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 13:45 +0800, steven woody wrote:

hi,

3) sharping
4) add frame/border

thanks.

Sharpening after downsampling is normal - the downsampling operation makes the image more fuzzy as a natural consequence, so you generally have to sharpen afterwards.

ok. then how about despeckle? can i do despeckle before

Since you need to do that, there's no point sharpening beforehand as well.

i need sharpening beforehand is because the image is scanned out from film scanner, the result is a little soft comparing to original.

Stephen

--
woody