RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

darkening a grey-scale drawing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

darkening a grey-scale drawing Haines Brown 11 Apr 22:57
  darkening a grey-scale drawing Carol Spears 11 Apr 23:18
   darkening a grey-scale drawing Tim Jedlicka 12 Apr 05:13
   darkening a grey-scale drawing Haines Brown 12 Apr 17:41
    darkening a grey-scale drawing Dave Neary 12 Apr 18:15
    darkening a grey-scale drawing Carol Spears 12 Apr 18:22
  darkening a grey-scale drawing steven woody 12 Apr 09:58
Haines Brown
2006-04-11 22:57:08 UTC (about 18 years ago)

I have a simple line drawing that is in shades of light grey against a white ground. My aim is to increase the grey scale range from 000 199 to 000 to 255.

Grokking the Gimp suggests I should use the Threshold Tool, but this produces unsatisfactory results. By moving the sliders I can darken the light grey to black, but what I'm left with is just what had been the original very darkest greys, and the lighter greys disappear.

Am I just being clumbsy, or is there a better approach?

Carol Spears
2006-04-11 23:18:40 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:57:08PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

I have a simple line drawing that is in shades of light grey against a white ground. My aim is to increase the grey scale range from 000 199 to 000 to 255.

Grokking the Gimp suggests I should use the Threshold Tool, but this produces unsatisfactory results. By moving the sliders I can darken the light grey to black, but what I'm left with is just what had been the original very darkest greys, and the lighter greys disappear.

try using the levels tool.

carol

Tim Jedlicka
2006-04-12 05:13:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

My aim is to increase the grey scale range from 000 199 to 000 to 255.

More specifically use levels and slide the left hand and right hand sliders in towards where your histogram starts.

steven woody
2006-04-12 09:58:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

hi,

i found any downsampling ( scale image to a smaller size ) will definitely blur the image ( scaned from film ) to an undesired degree. is there any suggestion around that? using a unsharp-mask after every downsampling ?

thanks.

Haines Brown
2006-04-12 17:41:27 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks, Carol, I did as you suggested. It works, although the result was unsatisfactory because the original image distribution of greys was uneven, and so the result was spotty (gaps in lines, artifacts, etc.). I guess I try to draw a new image myself.

Please excuse the appended question, but is there a way I could use the original as a kind of template to produce a hard line clean version in black? I could then blur it a bit for a nice result.

Haines Brown

Dave Neary
2006-04-12 18:15:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi Haines,

Haines Brown wrote:

Thanks, Carol, I did as you suggested. It works, although the result was unsatisfactory because the original image distribution of greys was uneven, and so the result was spotty (gaps in lines, artifacts, etc.). I guess I try to draw a new image myself.

You could try playing with the middle (gamma) slider to get better results, or use the curves tool rather than the levels tool - it gives you a bit more control.

Please excuse the appended question, but is there a way I could use the original as a kind of template to produce a hard line clean version in black? I could then blur it a bit for a nice result.

You could create a new layer on top of your original, and set the layer mode in "overlay" - that way you will see your original drawing underneath, which you can draw on afterwards.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2006-04-12 18:22:36 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:41:27AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

use the original to make a mask.

it has been a long while since i worked with scans, but iirc, i used the levels to get rid of the noise. after that, the threshold tool. blurring the black and white result of the thresholded image will add the grays back nicely. invert this layer.

then stack first a solid background color and then over that, whatever color you want your lines to be (black looks like what you want) then use the mask you made on this layer.

carol