RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

important GIMP features for the future ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

important GIMP features for the future ? devvv 08 Apr 23:14
  important GIMP features for the future ? Carol Spears 09 Apr 00:50
  important GIMP features for the future ? Michael Schumacher 09 Apr 00:54
   important GIMP features for the future ? Michael Schumacher 09 Apr 12:04
    important GIMP features for the future ? Geoffrey 09 Apr 14:14
    A really useful brush size trick pixelnate 10 Apr 23:21
important GIMP features for the future ? saulgoode@brickfilms.com 12 Apr 16:15
  important GIMP features for the future ? Jon Stockdill 12 Apr 16:28
   important GIMP features for the future ? Allan Haverholm 12 Apr 19:23
    important GIMP features for the future ? Brendan 13 Apr 04:03
     important GIMP features for the future ? John R. Culleton 11 May 20:09
devvv
2006-04-08 23:14:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello,

I gave a course today about GIMP/2.2 at a local college for some teachers that decided to switch over to GIMP instead of using Adobe Photoshop because they don't want to support proprietary software and because they want to spend their budget for more useful things than Photoshop licenses. Some did not have any former experience with comprehensive image manipulation programs. Some schools are switching to GIMP/2 soon because of me and my courses ;) I'm posting a list below that imo is very important for an easier and more accessible use of GIMP2! I'm sure you've heard them all already but they're really needed! The bug numbers are in parentheses.

Needed features: *** Dynamic Brush Resize: ***
Please change the way you use brushes. Make it easier to choose a type of brush of any desired size. (#65030)

*** Text-Options: *** 1. Implement buttons for "Bold" and "Italic" style. It is horrible when you have 150 fonts or so installed and you need to choose (#150500) 2. Include an option that allows to make some text of a single layer editible, i.e. one sentence is bold while another is italic, without having to create a different layer for each one. (#122706) 3. Include a letter-spacing option. (#331952) 4. Allow writing directly on layer without an extra dialog.

*** preview options *** preview options are needed for some important and frequently used scripts (i.e. adding shadow) (#52374)

*** some other things *** - Please implement an easy and fast way to instantly overlay a layer with a specific color or gradient (+preview option). - Please implement a script to add inner glow.

I'd like to thank all people who spend their time for developing and improving GIMP! It's an awesome application.

Carol Spears
2006-04-09 00:50:17 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:14:22PM +0200, devvv wrote:

Hello,

I gave a course today about GIMP/2.2 at a local college for some teachers that decided to switch over to GIMP instead of using Adobe Photoshop because they don't want to support proprietary software and because they want to spend their budget for more useful things than Photoshop licenses. Some did not have any former experience with comprehensive image manipulation programs. Some schools are switching to GIMP/2 soon because of me and my courses ;) I'm posting a list below that imo is very important for an easier and more accessible use of GIMP2! I'm sure you've heard them all already but they're really needed! The bug numbers are in parentheses.

thanks for pushing it and helping there!

Needed features:
*** Dynamic Brush Resize: ***
Please change the way you use brushes. Make it easier to choose a type of brush of any desired size. (#65030)

gimp2 can handle vector brushes. the bug report asks that they be more dynamic, but grabbing one from the palette and changing the size with a slider is not so difficult for me, but i am not used to any other software. i got a bunch of these brushes from pippin and have put these online:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/resources/brushes/vbrushes.zip you can put them into your .gimp-2.3/brushes/ or put them some place else and point gimp to them via Preferences. or even, put them into the system files (if you are using linux -- i don't know how that works on windows or macintosh).

in the brushes palette, they show up with a blue corner. with the buttons in the lower portion of the palette, you can select Edit and get a dockable dialog that allows the brush to change sizes. you can copy brushes and make them different sizes and well, other "different" things.

*** Text-Options: ***
1. Implement buttons for "Bold" and "Italic" style. It is horrible when you have 150 fonts or so installed and you need to choose (#150500)

i have my own feelings about this. to me these fonts are little pieces of art themselves. to programmatically make them bold or italic takes some of the art away from them. i am not certain how many feel this same way. i thought for a while that a nice way for font artists to make money from their work is to provide the normal font for free and then to sell the other (thoughtfully and not programmatically) adapted versions of them to people who wanted a complete set. i pull this scenario completely out of my imagination (or where ever else you pull uninvestigated musings from...) so, feel free to correct me if i am wrong about this.

they are beginning to talk about talking about a different font selector. this would involve many of the free art making software projects, not just gimp.

that being said, the gimp freetype plug-in can do a lot of these things to fonts. this plug-in can be found at http://freetype.gimp.org.

it should not be out of reach of the imagination of other artists that they might want to be able to control their work and perhaps get paid for their efforts. fonts are very difficult to make and good fonts are extremely difficult to make.

i don't know enough to comment on the other requests. except that there is a rumor that the python scripts might have a preview soon.

carol

Michael Schumacher
2006-04-09 00:54:38 UTC (about 18 years ago)

devvv wrote:

Some schools are switching to GIMP/2 soon because of me and my courses ;) I'm posting a list below that imo is very important for an easier and more accessible use of GIMP2! I'm sure you've heard them all already but they're really needed! The bug numbers are in parentheses.

Do your courses also include a part about GIMP being Open Source Software and that one can and should contribute to it if a feature should to get in faster?

As you can see, some of the bugs in your list are quite old, and having patches attached to them would help a lot. There might be just one or two people at each school who are interested, but their contributions are welcome.

BTW, gimp-developer would have been the better list for this message.

HTH, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2006-04-09 12:04:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:

devvv wrote:

Some schools are switching to GIMP/2 soon because of me and my courses ;) I'm posting a list below that imo is very important for an easier and more accessible use of GIMP2! I'm sure you've heard them all already but they're really needed! The bug numbers are in parentheses.

Do your courses also include a part about GIMP being Open Source Software and that one can and should contribute to it if a feature should to get in faster?

As you can see, some of the bugs in your list are quite old, and having patches attached to them would help a lot. There might be just one or two people at each school who are interested, but their contributions are welcome.

Someone wrote me that the above mail can be misunderstood. No, it is not intended as "Who do you think you are? If you want something done, do it yourself", it was just supposed to be a simple question with an explanation why I'm asking it.

Michael

Geoffrey
2006-04-09 14:14:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

devvv wrote:

Someone wrote me that the above mail can be misunderstood. No, it is not intended as "Who do you think you are? If you want something done, do it yourself", it was just supposed to be a simple question with an explanation why I'm asking it.

I, personally, took it as you intended. I think we all need to get the word out that this great application could always use more coders.

pixelnate
2006-04-10 23:21:25 UTC (about 18 years ago)

A really useful brush size trick

I have come across this quick tute to create a shortcut to increase or decrease the brush size in the Gimp. This is a major-super-great thing IMO, so I decided I would share what I found.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105466

Cheers, Nate

saulgoode@brickfilms.com
2006-04-12 16:15:37 UTC (about 18 years ago)

I feel there is no better software choice for educational use than the GIMP.

*** preview options ***
preview options are needed for some important and frequently used scripts (i.e. adding shadow) (#52374)

I am by no means a GIMP guru, but the "previews for plugins" issue seems to be something of a double-edged sword. I certainly agree that showing the effects of altering parameters in the main image display is, in most cases, ideal. If I understand correctly, one of the difficulties with accomplishing this is that plugins communicate with the main GIMP program using a message-passing system ("The Wire") and interactive plugins are somewhat limited on the amount of information that can be exchanged in a responsive manner. This limitation currently has to be weighed against the benefit of permitting the entire GIMP community to safely contribute to the GIMP (using, for the most part, their programming language of choice). I can't imagine the GIMP having reached the advanced state it is in without the extensibility provided by the Procedural DataBase and plugins.

*** some other things ***
- Please implement an easy and fast way to instantly overlay a layer with a specific color or gradient (+preview option).

You can drag-n-drop a color directly from the foreground, background, or a color dialog onto a layer; you can use the "Tools->Paint Tools->Blend" to do the same with a gradient (I consider both of these to be "easy and fast"). A "preview option" would introduce a confirmation step that would make the process both more difficult and slower and, from an internal standpoint, be little different from the use of UNDO to revert an undesired change.

- Please implement a script to add inner glow.

There is a "Layer Effects" plugin available in the Plugin Registry which implements this; though I would question its usage in an educational setting. If you are trying to teach a course in user interface, fine, I understand. But if the goal is to teach image manipulation and its algorithms then would it not be of more use to learn "how" to add an inner glow. All of the "layer effects" are fairly simple operations that, at their core, are just nice "packaging" of the more important concepts of color combinations, convolutions, thresholds, and opacities; all of which can be taught at their intuitive level with GIMP (without a "dumbed down" user interface confusing the user).

If the suggested enhancements are taken from a "productivity" standpoint, I might better sympathize (although I *really* like the GIMP's interface); but as they were presented from an educator who wishes to use the GIMP in the classroom, I would submit that what is being taught be considered.

Jon Stockdill
2006-04-12 16:28:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

How about an AJAX-enabled web app for GIMP?

On 4/12/06, saulgoode@brickfilms.com wrote:

I feel there is no better software choice for educational use than the GIMP.

*** preview options ***
preview options are needed for some important and frequently used scripts (i.e. adding shadow) (#52374)

I am by no means a GIMP guru, but the "previews for plugins" issue seems to be something of a double-edged sword. I certainly agree that showing the effects of altering parameters in the main image display is, in most cases, ideal. If I understand correctly, one of the difficulties with accomplishing this is that plugins communicate with the main GIMP program using a message-passing system ("The Wire") and interactive plugins are somewhat limited on the amount of information that can be exchanged in a responsive manner. This limitation currently has to be weighed against the benefit of permitting the entire GIMP community to safely contribute to the GIMP (using, for the most part, their programming language of choice). I can't imagine the GIMP having reached the advanced state it is in without the extensibility provided by the Procedural DataBase and plugins.

*** some other things ***
- Please implement an easy and fast way to instantly overlay a layer with a specific color or gradient (+preview option).

You can drag-n-drop a color directly from the foreground, background, or a color dialog onto a layer; you can use the "Tools->Paint Tools->Blend" to do the same with a gradient (I consider both of these to be "easy and fast"). A "preview option" would introduce a confirmation step that would make the process both more difficult and slower and, from an internal standpoint, be little different from the use of UNDO to revert an undesired change.

- Please implement a script to add inner glow.

There is a "Layer Effects" plugin available in the Plugin Registry which implements this; though I would question its usage in an educational setting. If you are trying to teach a course in user interface, fine, I understand. But if the goal is to teach image manipulation and its algorithms then would it not be of more use to learn "how" to add an inner glow. All of the "layer effects" are fairly simple operations that, at their core, are just nice "packaging" of the more important concepts of color combinations, convolutions, thresholds, and opacities; all of which can be taught at their intuitive level with GIMP (without a "dumbed down" user interface confusing the user).

If the suggested enhancements are taken from a "productivity" standpoint, I might better sympathize (although I *really* like the GIMP's interface); but as they were presented from an educator who wishes to use the GIMP in the classroom, I would submit that what is being taught be considered.

Allan Haverholm
2006-04-12 19:23:08 UTC (about 18 years ago)

CMYK, CMYK,CMYK.

's all it needs.

Brendan
2006-04-13 04:03:07 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 13:23, Allan Haverholm wrote:

CMYK, CMYK,CMYK.

's all it needs.

No, don't worry about that. Krita has that now.

John R. Culleton
2006-05-11 20:09:49 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 22:03, Brendan wrote:

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 13:23, Allan Haverholm wrote:

CMYK, CMYK,CMYK.

's all it needs.

No, don't worry about that. Krita has that now. _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

In my experience Krita is very unstable and crashes a lot. And it lacks all the plugins of Gimp.