RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Clipping Paths

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Clipping Paths kenquad 07 Apr 20:43
  Clipping Paths Carol Spears 07 Apr 21:23
   Clipping Paths kenquad 07 Apr 23:04
    Clipping Paths Carol Spears 07 Apr 23:18
kenquad
2006-04-07 20:43:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Clipping Paths

Hi all:

Quick question: can I do TIFF clipping paths in GIMP like you can in Photoshop - or something equivalent? Thanks a bunch,

Ken Ha quad --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Clipping-Paths-t1413752.html#a3809341 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

Carol Spears
2006-04-07 21:23:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Clipping Paths

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:43:21AM -0700, kenquad wrote:

Quick question: can I do TIFF clipping paths in GIMP like you can in Photoshop - or something equivalent? Thanks a bunch,

Photoshop is unable to run on my os without a lot of help which basically means it does not run on my os.

given this information, can you explain what it is you perceive that photoshop does with paths for you?

carol

kenquad
2006-04-07 23:04:01 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Clipping Paths

Actually I've never used Photoshop, but I hear from a DTP expert that it has a function called "clipping paths" which can be used with an EPS (sorry I said TIFF in error) to tell your layout software (e.g. Quark, Scribus) which areas to set transparent. Thus far I've used transparent PNGs for this effect but it's not particularly reliable. --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Clipping-Paths-t1413752.html#a3811466 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

Carol Spears
2006-04-07 23:18:29 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Clipping Paths

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:04:01PM -0700, kenquad wrote:

Actually I've never used Photoshop, but I hear from a DTP expert that it has a function called "clipping paths" which can be used with an EPS (sorry I said TIFF in error) to tell your layout software (e.g. Quark, Scribus) which areas to set transparent. Thus far I've used transparent PNGs for this effect but it's not particularly reliable.

gimp turns eps into pixel images. inkscape is probably the best option for what you need.

that being said, i have done this thing (that i think you are asking about) with a combination of selections and merging the union of a path with a selection and then making a new path of the resulting selection a few times for when i needed to do this.

right click in the face of the path dialog and you can find the things i mentioned.

carol