RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Startup values

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Startup values John R. Culleton 04 Apr 15:01
  Startup values Carol Spears 05 Apr 04:27
   Startup values Akkana Peck 05 Apr 05:49
    Startup values Carol Spears 05 Apr 16:37
     Startup values Akkana Peck 05 Apr 22:03
      Startup values Carol Spears 05 Apr 22:30
    Startup values John R. Culleton 05 Apr 16:47
John R. Culleton
2006-04-04 15:01:18 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

When I start Gimp 2.3.7 it starts with a paintbrush. I would rather it started with the rectangular select tool. Somewhere in .gimp-2.3 is a value that sets this option I suspect. But I haven't found it yet.

Someone please give me a hint.

Carol Spears
2006-04-05 04:27:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:01:18AM -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:

When I start Gimp 2.3.7 it starts with a paintbrush. I would rather it started with the rectangular select tool. Somewhere in .gimp-2.3 is a value that sets this option I suspect. But I haven't found it yet.

Someone please give me a hint.

well, i spent the morning here reading the man pages and looking at all of the .gimp-2.3/*rc files and even searching recent irc logs because i remembered that there had been chat about default something there.

in the irc log, the chat was about how to change the default brush -- not tool.

the manpages do not say a thing, so don't waste your time there.

right now, i am playing with a combination of Preferences. this combination seems to work:

File/Preferences/Tool Options -- make certain that the tool you want active for each time you start GIMP is active and push the "Save Tool Options Now" button and also that the "Save Tool Options on exit" toggle is toggled off.

while you are at it, you can make and save the positions of your docks and tabs by doing a similar thing with the Window Management Preferences.

one thing i found interesting about the Window Management Preferences, is that when you save the current position of the windows and docks and tabs, you also save the current position of the Preferences Dialog, so make sure that is in the location that you always want *it* to open up in as well before pushing any window management buttons in gimp preferences. (it was kind of a funny read, as far as *rc files go....)

let me (us) know how it goes....

carol

Akkana Peck
2006-04-05 05:49:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

Carol Spears writes:

File/Preferences/Tool Options -- make certain that the tool you want active for each time you start GIMP is active and push the "Save Tool Options Now" button and also that the "Save Tool Options on exit" toggle is toggled off.

That works for me, but if it doesn't work for you, try the "Input Devices" category of Preferences and click on "Save Input Device Settings Now". That should save the tool, colors, brush, pattern and gradient for each device you have active (even if all you use is the standard mouse).

...Akkana

Carol Spears
2006-04-05 16:37:29 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:49:52PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

That works for me, but if it doesn't work for you, try the "Input Devices" category of Preferences and click on "Save Input Device Settings Now". That should save the tool, colors, brush, pattern and gradient for each device you have active (even if all you use is the standard mouse).

i think this saves a different default pattern, brush, etc. only.

and also, i think the question was how to make gimp start with a different tool than it does by default.

carol

John R. Culleton
2006-04-05 16:47:07 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 23:49, Akkana Peck wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

...Akkana _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Thanks to both. I used Carol's technique and it is working so far.

Akkana Peck
2006-04-05 22:03:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

Carol Spears writes:

and also, i think the question was how to make gimp start with a different tool than it does by default.

That saves the tool (as well as the rest) for me. It doesn't for you?

...Akkana

Carol Spears
2006-04-05 22:30:20 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Startup values

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:03:58PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

That saves the tool (as well as the rest) for me. It doesn't for you?

not when i looked. i think that gets saved in sessionrc, but it depends on if you have that session saving toggled or not.

also, i did not retrace my steps to verify this. when i looked (earlier) at a newly made user install, there was no devicerc until i saved one. that is what i wrote about.

carol