RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Please enlighten me!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Please enlighten me! Joachim Smith 29 Mar 17:23
  Please enlighten me! Olivier Ripoll 29 Mar 18:32
  Please enlighten me! Sven Neumann 29 Mar 23:03
   Please enlighten me! Olivier Ripoll 31 Mar 11:21
    Please enlighten me! Dave Neary 31 Mar 12:07
Please enlighten me! Joachim Smith 31 Mar 12:00
Joachim Smith
2006-03-29 17:23:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Hello Gimp Wizards,

This is my first post to this eminent forum. I'm a technical journalist working on a series of articles on freeware image editing software, for the Swedish monthly photo magazine FOTO.

Gimp seems to be the 'pièce de résistance' of free image manipulation programs and I'm already impressed by its capabilities.

However, being raised on Photoshop but a newbie with Gimp, I'm stumped by some of Gimp's functions. Please bear with me...

1) I can't seem to find any option for a continuous numerical readout of RGB and greyscale values as I move the cursor in the image!

I have discovered that I can use the Color Picker tool to get readouts if I click somewhere. BUT, if I invoke a function like Color Correction, the Color Picker window is disabled and no help at all for checking stuff like clipping channels or colour casts of areas that should be neutral.

From Photoshop I'm used to always having readouts available in the Info

palette. In Gimp, it seems that though I get all kinds of positional data in the lower left image frame corner, there's no color data readout option.

2) The Decompose to... and Compose to... functions are intriguing and potentially useful, BUT so far, I haven't been able to, say, Decompose an RGB image to LAB (for sharpening just the L channel or for adjusting gamma without colour saturation buildup) AND then Compose the layered image back to RGB!

When I try, I get truly weird colours and I get the impression that Decompose to... and Compose to... don't work in a complementary or transparent manner. This makes me wonder what these functions are meant for.

So, again, there might be something I'm just missing, being weaned on Photoshop, and if anybody could set me on the right track, I'd be most grateful.

Best regards,

Joachim

Olivier Ripoll
2006-03-29 18:32:05 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Joachim Smith wrote:

Hello Gimp Wizards,

I am not a gimp wizard, just a user, so forgive me if I cannot answer all of your questions. I use gimp 2.3.7 so there might be a few differences between my answers and what you actually have in your version. [...]

However, being raised on Photoshop but a newbie with Gimp, I'm stumped by some of Gimp's functions. Please bear with me...

1) I can't seem to find any option for a continuous numerical readout of RGB and greyscale values as I move the cursor in the image!

The colour picker tool is the one you want. It is the 8th in the toolbox. When you select it, notice the tool options tab in the bottom half of the toolbox window. There you can see an option check-box "Use info window (Shift)". If you check it or if you press shift while clicking on the image with this tool, a window will pop up and tell you what you want.

I have discovered that I can use the Color Picker tool to get readouts if I click somewhere. BUT, if I invoke a function like Color Correction, the Color Picker window is disabled and no help at all for checking stuff like clipping channels or colour casts of areas that should be neutral.

The colour picker can be used from within the main colour correction tools ("Curves" and "Levels"). Try clicking on the images when you use the curve tool, it will put a point at the corresponding coordinate. In the Levels tool, there are some colour picker icons to set the black, white and grey points.

From Photoshop I'm used to always having readouts available in the Info

palette. In Gimp, it seems that though I get all kinds of positional data in the lower left image frame corner, there's no color data readout option.

2) The Decompose to... and Compose to... functions are intriguing and potentially useful, BUT so far, I haven't been able to, say, Decompose an RGB image to LAB (for sharpening just the L channel or for adjusting gamma without colour saturation buildup) AND then Compose the layered image back to RGB!

When I try, I get truly weird colours and I get the impression that Decompose to... and Compose to... don't work in a complementary or transparent manner. This makes me wonder what these functions are meant for.

Ouch! L A and B channels. At least the gimp should be corrected to spell this correctly ;) (as everyone knows, L*, a* and b*)

I cannot help you on that one, since my compose plugin just crashed when I selected LAB in it... Good reason not to use unstable versions ;)

Wait... well, I can use "Recompose" and it works fine. Did you assigned the right channels or images to the L* a* and b* components in the compose windows ? Are you sure you chose LAB and not RGB when recomposing ?

So, again, there might be something I'm just missing, being weaned on Photoshop, and if anybody could set me on the right track, I'd be most grateful.

Best regards,

Joachim

Best regards,

Olivier.

Sven Neumann
2006-03-29 23:03:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Hi,

Joachim Smith writes:

From Photoshop I'm used to always having readouts available in the Info palette. In Gimp, it seems that though I get all kinds of positional data in the lower left image frame corner, there's no color data readout option.

GIMP has an Info window that offers exactly this functionality.

Sven

Olivier Ripoll
2006-03-31 11:21:38 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Joachim Smith writes:

From Photoshop I'm used to always having readouts available in the Info palette. In Gimp, it seems that though I get all kinds of positional data in the lower left image frame corner, there's no color data readout option.

Sven

Sven,

I think he meant that this window disappears when the colour tools (curves, levels) windows are opened, so it is not possible to use it at the same time.

It may be indeed useful, to be able to see in real time the evolution of the colours, especially when doing e.g. grey/white/black point corrections.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Joachim Smith
2006-03-31 12:00:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Hello again,

A big THANK YOU to Jakub Steiner , Olivier Ripoll ,Sven Neumann and Alan Horkan
who all graciously helped to set me on the right track (s). I don?t know how I managed to miss that Info window...

I still can?t seem to get the Decompose/Compose stuff to work right, but I?ll check the tutorial at http://gimp.org/tutorials/Smart_Sharpening/ as recommended by Jakub and roll up my sleeves. BTW, I?m using Gimp 2.2.10 which is hailed as the latest stable version.

This list rocks! Quoting the Governor of California, "I?ll be back!"

Best regards,

Joachim

Dave Neary
2006-03-31 12:07:55 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please enlighten me!

Hi,

There's no colour box, but otherwise you have a real-time update of the colour under the pointer in the "Pointer" dock in 2.3 - I can't remember if the same thing existed in 2.2.

Cheers, Dave.

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Joachim Smith writes:

Sven

Sven,

I think he meant that this window disappears when the colour tools (curves, levels) windows are opened, so it is not possible to use it at the same time.

It may be indeed useful, to be able to see in real time the evolution of the colours, especially when doing e.g. grey/white/black point corrections.

Best regards,

Olivier.

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user