RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Multicolor pinwheel effect.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Multicolor pinwheel effect. John R. Culleton 27 Mar 17:50
  Multicolor pinwheel effect. Dave Neary 27 Mar 18:30
   Multicolor pinwheel effect. John R. Culleton 27 Mar 18:33
    Multicolor pinwheel effect. Dave Neary 27 Mar 18:48
  Multicolor pinwheel effect. GSR - FR 27 Mar 19:01
   Multicolor pinwheel effect. Tim Jedlicka 28 Mar 06:53
John R. Culleton
2006-03-27 17:50:47 UTC (about 18 years ago)

I want to create a multicolor pinwheel effect for a background, with the arms of each shade radiating out from a hub and curved rather than straight. And I want the colors to blend into each other as in a gradient. A rainbow gradient is an obvious starting point.

Would anyone like to suggest a sequence of tools to arrive at this effect?

I will post this query elsewhere, but will not crosspost.

Dave Neary
2006-03-27 18:30:53 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi John,

making the gradient match exactly the circle will be the tough bit, but there's a nice trick to doing something like this:

1. Create a square image 2. Make a gradient that you want to use (I created a gradient with red at both ends, and a "HSV clockwise" blend mode) 3. Blend fill your rectangle
4. Add a white to transparent gradient on the bottom for the center of your circle (otherwise it'll look funny) 5. Apply a 'polar coordinates' filter

You should get a pinwheel effect. To change the pinwheel, you just need to change the gradient.

Cheers, Dave.

John R. Culleton wrote:

I want to create a multicolor pinwheel effect for a background, with the arms of each shade radiating out from a hub and curved rather than straight. And I want the colors to blend into each other as in a gradient. A rainbow gradient is an obvious starting point.

I will post this query elsewhere, but will not crosspost.

John R. Culleton
2006-03-27 18:33:23 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Monday 27 March 2006 11:30, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi John,

making the gradient match exactly the circle will be the tough bit, but there's a nice trick to doing something like this:

1. Create a square image 2. Make a gradient that you want to use (I created a gradient with red at both ends, and a "HSV clockwise" blend mode) 3. Blend fill your rectangle
4. Add a white to transparent gradient on the bottom for the center of your circle (otherwise it'll look funny) 5. Apply a 'polar coordinates' filter

You should get a pinwheel effect. To change the pinwheel, you just need to change the gradient.

Cheers, Dave.

Sounds good. Will the rays of color be straight or curved? Perhaps I need to put the gradient on a diagonal for this effect. I will experiment!

I should mention that after I create the graphic I will select just a portion of it for the background. So the center is not critical.

Dave Neary
2006-03-27 18:48:32 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

John R. Culleton wrote:

Sounds good. Will the rays of color be straight or curved? Perhaps I need to put the gradient on a diagonal for this effect. I will experiment!

Pinch and whirl to perfection afterwards. The tricky bit is getting the radial pattern.

Cheers,
Dave.

GSR - FR
2006-03-27 19:01:17 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,
john@wexfordpress.com (2006-03-27 at 1050.47 -0500):

If I understood what you want, do the gradient from side to side then use polar coords to convert and get the star shape. And finally pinch and whirl for the twist.

GSR

Tim Jedlicka
2006-03-28 06:53:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Might want to check out Filter->Render->Clouds->Plasma Followed by Filter->Distort->Whirl and Pinch http://www.galifree.com/misc/whirl.jpg to see a sample. I use the Plasma filter (in greyscale) for background replacements occasionally.