RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20060323200006.69667A660AA@... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31 Rhys Sage 23 Mar 21:19
   Gimp-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31 Patrick Shanahan 23 Mar 21:35
    Gimp-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31 Doug 24 Mar 19:29
Rhys Sage
2006-03-23 21:19:16 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Sorry I confused eveybody by not including the answers that I'd been given in my further questions.

Now, two further questions - not specifically The Gimp but related:

Can I write using Linux, vCDs and video DVDs and can I write my photos to DVD as I can with XP (and Sonic)?

How much space is all this likely to take up? I have a 65GB HDD on my laptop which is already half full. If The Gimp will do everything that Adobe Photoshop Elements and Canon Zoom Browser will do then I might dump XP or run dual boot.

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

Patrick Shanahan
2006-03-23 21:35:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

* Rhys Sage [03-23-06 15:22]:

Can I write using Linux, vCDs and video DVDs and can I write my photos to DVD as I can with XP (and Sonic)?

Linux will make data CDs and DVDs storing graphic (photo) files. There are several utilities to write optical media, k3b is my favorite graphical front-end.

How much space is all this likely to take up?

You will have to ask this in another manner as I do not understand what you are looking for.

I have a 65GB HDD on my laptop which is already half full.

??

If The Gimp will do everything that Adobe Photoshop Elements and Canon Zoom Browser will do then I might dump XP or run dual boot.

I have *no* idea what Canon Zoom Browser will do and some idea about PS Elements. Gimp will probably do some thing that neither of those will do and they will probably do some things that the Gimp does not. Over all, I see no reason to maintain a windoz system. I have not had windoz on my personal box for over seven years, and used OS/2 prior to that.

Doug
2006-03-24 19:29:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Rhys Sage [03-23-06 15:22]:

Linux will make data CDs and DVDs storing graphic (photo) files. There are several utilities to write optical media, k3b is my favorite graphical front-end.

There's also a CD/DVD Creator in Gnome which is *extremely* easy to use

How much space is all this likely to take up?

You will have to ask this in another manner as I do not understand what you are looking for.

If you mean space to prepare the ISO image prior to writing - it will obviously depend on how much you want to write; but I doubt it'd be much different from XP. Someone else can probably give you a better idea.

I have a 65GB HDD on my laptop which is already half full

Maybe you should be starting to think about archiving some of the photos.

If The Gimp will do everything that Adobe Photoshop Elements and Canon Zoom Browser will do then I might dump XP or run dual boot.

I have *no* idea what Canon Zoom Browser will do and some idea about PS Elements. Gimp will probably do some thing that neither of those will do and they will probably do some things that the Gimp does not.

I'd second that. About the only things I noticed were that Gimp doesn't preserve EXIF data (in .xcf files), although if you download your photos via Gtkam it's available; and there's nothing equivalent to the simple panorama option Photostitch in Gimp. Having said that, both the Canon and PS "photostitch"s fall over and become quite useless if the components of your panorama don't match perfectly or their arrangement is a bit complicated. You'd then have to embark on making your panorama *manually* and Gimp is excellent for that. If you want to make trial pages of multiple photos you can do that in Gimp, but Gnome Photo Printer is much quicker and simpler.

IMHO the real defect of Gimp as against Photoshop is that there is *still* no colour management system. That may or may not matter to you. If it does, you can get part of the way there by matching your printer output to what you see on the monitor: if you're lucky the Linux drivers will do it; if not, Turboprint will do it for a great many printers and is being updated all the time as new printers come on the market.

Over all,
I see no reason to maintain a windoz system. I have not had windoz on my personal box for over seven years, and used OS/2 prior to tha

Now that I've got used to the Gimp - it works differently from PS and you shouldn't expect it to be the same - I only keep a Windows system on dual boot because I still need various MS Access databases I created in the past.

Doug