RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[GUG] Identifying Fonts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

200603011032.08468.gwidion@... 07 Oct 20:17
  [GUG] Identifying Fonts Colin Brace 01 Mar 19:53
   [GUG] Identifying Fonts Vytautas P. 01 Mar 22:38
   [GUG] Identifying Fonts Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 02 Mar 00:48
   [GUG] Identifying Fonts Sven Neumann 03 Mar 12:45
44050CA8.1040902@pobox.com 07 Oct 20:17
200603010026.42715.gwidion@... 07 Oct 20:17
4405987D.3050605@pobox.com 07 Oct 20:17
Colin Brace
2006-03-01 19:53:19 UTC (about 18 years ago)

[GUG] Identifying Fonts

On 3/1/06, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

You do not select content on the image, rather the text window dialog pop up with your text in it (and the tool options parameters change for that of the font used in the active layer).

But you have a point, the UI should have a way to indicate that, if clicked, the existing text will be edited.

Another problem is is that there is no visible indication that a text object is selected. When a text layer is active, the text object is displayed with a box around it, whether it is selected or not. Every time I try to move a text object, 75% of the time I end up moving the underlying canvas, and I have to keep undoing and clicking on the text object until I succeed in selecting *just it*. I go through this every time I create text, since inevitably the text is not positioned where I want it when I first add it.

-- Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Vytautas P.
2006-03-01 22:38:35 UTC (about 18 years ago)

[GUG] Identifying Fonts

2006.03.01 20:53, Colin Brace rašo:

Another problem is is that there is no visible indication that a text object is selected. When a text layer is active, the text object is displayed with a box around it, whether it is selected or not. Every time I try to move a text object, 75% of the time I end up moving the underlying canvas, and I have to keep undoing and clicking on the text object until I succeed in selecting *just it*. I go through this every time I create text, since inevitably the text is not positioned where I want it when I first add it.

You can move text layer with move layer tool - keyboard shortcut is M. You have to point at text layer's content - namely letters. Then cursor from pointing finger changes to cursor with 4-sided arrow (if text layer is not selected in Layers tab, then pointer with 4-sided arrow changes to pointing finger) and you can move layer whereever you like. Zooming in picture should help you pick letters in text layer.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-03-02 00:48:51 UTC (about 18 years ago)

[GUG] Identifying Fonts

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 03:53 pm, Colin Brace wrote:

On 3/1/06, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

You do not select content on the image, rather the text window dialog pop up with your text in it (and the tool options parameters change for that of the font used in the active layer).

But you have a point, the UI should have a way to indicate that, if clicked, the existing text will be edited.

That is easy: hold shift while using the move tool. That will make the GIMP pick the active layer, regardless of where you click.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Sven Neumann
2006-03-03 12:45:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

[GUG] Identifying Fonts

Hi,

"Colin Brace" writes:

Have you considered using the cursor keys to reposition the text layer?

Sven