RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Animations with translucent layers?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Animations with translucent layers? RalfGesellensetter 25 Feb 19:58
  Animations with translucent layers? Carol Spears 25 Feb 20:17
   Animations with translucent layers? RalfGesellensetter 25 Feb 20:30
  Animations with translucent layers? Sven Neumann 25 Feb 20:24
RalfGesellensetter
2006-02-25 19:58:35 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello all,

for several times I managed to create animations witb Gimp 2.2. Especially nice are web animations (GIF) which are easily done with GIMP.

Now, for the first time, GIMP's outcome is different from what I expect. Is it a feature or a bug that partly transparent layers are not shown in the animation preview box? I put an example to

http://www.skolelinux.de/~ralf/artwork/animations/

Cheers Ralf

Carol Spears
2006-02-25 20:17:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:58:35PM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:

Hello all,

for several times I managed to create animations witb Gimp 2.2. Especially nice are web animations (GIF) which are easily done with GIMP.

Now, for the first time, GIMP's outcome is different from what I expect. Is it a feature or a bug that partly transparent layers are not shown in the animation preview box? I put an example to

http://www.skolelinux.de/~ralf/artwork/animations/

forgive me, i have not looked at the animation yet. even without looking (however) i can tell you that gif is either completely transparent or completely painted. there is no inbetween, unless you are one of those people who has purchased or obtained the propietary gif libraries which use (i think) something that i can only imagine to be a layered color set up.

the gifs that average users like you (maybe) and me have one 256 color palette. one of the color positions can be used for transparency leaving 255 colors and 1 no color. the industry gif has 256 of those palettes to work with and can show various amounts of transparency.

btw, 256x256 is something close to 16 million, which is the number of colors that a jpeg uses. jpeg however does not know transparency.

so there you go. it is not gimp that cannot make your animation transparent, it is the library they allow you to have and for your software to use to make and view gif with.

mng works. i am certain that one day a browser will be made that can display mng. especially if we can make a community of interested people who want to deliver free software to actual users. until such a software project exists, you can search the bug reports of the different browser projects to see what has happened there.

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-02-25 20:24:35 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

RalfGesellensetter writes:

Now, for the first time, GIMP's outcome is different from what I expect. Is it a feature or a bug that partly transparent layers are not shown in the animation preview box?

All of the pixels in your partly transparent layers have an alpha value below 127, they are more transparent than opaque. Since GIF only supports binary transparency, these pixels all end up being transparent in the animation.

The Animation Playback plug-in simulates GIF transparency. If someone wants to come up with a patch that adds a check button to enable/disable this feature, that would be a welcomed contribution.

Sven

RalfGesellensetter
2006-02-25 20:30:09 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Am Samstag 25 Februar 2006 20:17 schrieben Sie:

the gifs that average users like you (maybe) and me have one 256 color palette

Dear Carol,

thanks for your fast reply. If it was for exporting to GIF, I would have come to the same conclusion. But it is also within GIMP preview dialogue that the translucent gradients are not shown. I made sure in a 2nd trial that the layers themselves _are_ shown.

Regards Ralf