RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Compiling 2.3.7 under FC4, configure can't find gtk2+2.8.12

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Colin Brace
2006-02-25 17:23:25 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi all,

I hate having to bother this list with tiresome compile problems, but here goes:

Earlier this week, I installed 2.3.7 under Ubuntu (Breezy). At the moment, I am trying to do the same under Fedora Core 4, but I am having less success. In particular, I keep getting this error message from configure:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK+ or finding the wrong *** version of GTK+. If it is not finding GTK+, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

Initially, I installed 2.8.12 in /usr/local, as is my preference for newer, non-packaged versions. When that didn't work, I bit the bullet and removed the latest official package, 2.6.10, with sudo rpm -e --nodeps gtk2, and installed 2.8.12 in the default location, but that still didn't solve the problem.

FWIW, I added /usr/local to /etc/ld.so.conf, and, yes, I run sudo ldconfig after installing the libraries. Something is going wrong, but what?

I was able to install gtk2 2.8.12 in /usr/local and compile gimp 2.3.7 without this problem under Ubuntu, and without having to uninstall the older official releases, and I'd like to be able to do the same under Fedora.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Tom Williams
2006-02-25 17:38:29 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Colin Brace wrote:

Hi all,

I hate having to bother this list with tiresome compile problems, but here goes:

Earlier this week, I installed 2.3.7 under Ubuntu (Breezy). At the moment, I am trying to do the same under Fedora Core 4, but I am having less success. In particular, I keep getting this error message from configure:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK+ or finding the wrong *** version of GTK+. If it is not finding GTK+, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

Run "pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0" to see what version of GTK+ is registered with pkg-config. I think the Gimp configure script uses pkg-config to get the locations of GLIB and GTK+ includes and libs.

If the version of GTK+ registered to pkg-config doesn't match what you know is installed, you can fix that problem.

If you like, e-mail me your config.log and I can possibly let you know what you need to fix.

Peace...

Tom

Sven Neumann
2006-02-25 20:16:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

"Colin Brace" writes:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no

set PKG_CONFIG_PATH so that pkg-config picks up glib and gtk+ from the right locations.

Sven

Colin Brace
2006-02-25 20:21:41 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 2/25/06, Tom Williams wrote:

run "pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0" to see what version of GTK+ is registered with pkg-config.

OK:

$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0 2.8.12

but:

../gimp-2.3.7/configure:

[...]

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...

[...]

Very weird.

-- Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Sven Neumann
2006-02-25 20:29:20 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

"Colin Brace" writes:

$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0 2.8.12

but:

../gimp-2.3.7/configure:

[...]

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...

configure detected the correct version of gtk+ and built a test program against it. But this test program cannot be executed, most probably because the linker didn't find the gtk+ library. Have you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Sven

Colin Brace
2006-02-25 20:51:16 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On 2/25/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

set PKG_CONFIG_PATH so that pkg-config picks up glib and gtk+ from the right locations.

Ah, right, I changed that to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ to get glib to compile. Ok, so I now change it back to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/. Still no go. What am I missing?

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Tom Williams
2006-02-26 05:35:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Colin Brace wrote:

On 2/25/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Ah, right, I changed that to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ to get glib to compile. Ok, so I now change it back to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/. Still no go. What am I missing?

Ok, in your config.log I found this:

---------------START--------------------

configure:26767: checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8 configure:26882: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/local//include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/local/include/cairo -I/usr/local/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local//lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 >&5
configure:26885: $? = 0
configure:26887: ./conftest
./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
configure:26890: $? = 127
configure: program exited with status 127 configure: failed program was:

---------------------END-----------------

So, you need to fix your pango installation. Is suggest installing Cairo first:

http://cairographics.org/

and then pango:

ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/

and then try building Gimp 2.3.7. Why libpangocairo is being linked in, I don't know but that's the problem. That is why the test program didn't run.

Peace...

Tom

Colin Brace
2006-02-27 11:40:03 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Thanks to the assistance of gimp lister Tom this past weekend, I have now succeeded in installing 2.3.7 on Fedora. The main problem turned out be some obsolete .pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig related to some gtk2 dependencies, namely atk, glib, cairo, and pango, which I had installed in /usr/local. When I reversed the order of pkgconfig's search path :

[colin@ariel lib]$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

I was eventually able to get 2.3.7 to compile. Without python, but I'll tackle that another time...

Thanks again, Tom!

-- Colin Brace
Amsterdam