RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

two-page tiffs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

two-page tiffs Robert Citek 23 Feb 15:45
  two-page tiffs Vytautas P. 23 Feb 19:35
  two-page tiffs Robert Citek 23 Feb 20:37
Robert Citek
2006-02-23 15:45:38 UTC (about 18 years ago)

two-page tiffs

How does one create or save a two-page tiff with the GIMP?

I'm running Gimpshop 2.2.10 on OS X 10.4.5 and am able to open a two- page tiff file created by a scanning application. Each page of the tiff loads into a separate layer and I'm able to save the loaded tiff as an .xcf file. However, if I try to re-save the image as tiff, gimpshop "flattens" the layers into a single layer.

I'd like to edit this tiff file and save as a two-page tiff. Can this be done with the GIMP? Is there an option I'm overlooking or a plug-in I'm missing?

Pointers to the appropriate sections in the docs or pointers to working examples are much appreciated.

Regards, - Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software. Distribute FLOSS for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

Vytautas P.
2006-02-23 19:35:46 UTC (about 18 years ago)

two-page tiffs

2006.02.23 16:45, Robert Citek rašo:

How does one create or save a two-page tiff with the GIMP? I'd like to edit this tiff file and save as a two-page tiff. Can this be done with the GIMP?

Enlarge canvas (RightClick on image > Image > Canvas Size , unlock vertical and horizontal sizes and double horizontal measure), then move on layer aside.
or
Move one layer aside to fit your needs, then RightClick on image >Image> Fit Canvas to Layers.

Robert Citek
2006-02-23 20:37:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

two-page tiffs

On Feb 23, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Robert Citek wrote:

How does one create or save a two-page tiff with the GIMP?

The short answer, you don't (at least I couldn't figure out how). To work around this limitation I used tiffutil under OS X. I lost some tag information and the process is a pain in the neck, but it worked. Command sequence on OS X:

for i in $(jot $(tiffinfo array.tif | grep -c TIFF ) 0) ; do tiffutil -extract $i array.tif -out array.$i.tif # resize array.$i.tif with the gimp # save as array.$i.400x524.tif
done
tiffutil -cat array.*.400x524.tif -out array.400x524.tif

To see the smaller two-page tiff:

http://cwelug.org/~rwcitek/array.400x524.tif

400 x 524 = 0.42 MB 2738 x 3586 = 40.00 MB

That's a sizable difference.

BTW, the image is a scan from a two-color microarray scanner. The images are scans of a glass slide with literally thousands of dots of DNA. One image is the scan at one wavelength, while the other image is the scan of the exact same slide at a different wavelength. Of course, now it would be nice to take the two images, false-color one blue, the other gold, and then overlay them. Where the dots line up it will be green (blue + gold = green). But I don't know how to do that, yet.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software. Distribute FLOSS for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent