RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"Selection to Path" accuracy

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

"Selection to Path" accuracy Adam Cooper 20 Feb 21:07
  "Selection to Path" accuracy David Neary 20 Feb 22:15
  "Selection to Path" accuracy Sven Neumann 22 Feb 09:38
   "Selection to Path" accuracy Simon Budig 22 Feb 14:25
   "Selection to Path" accuracy Sven Neumann 22 Feb 14:33
Adam Cooper
2006-02-20 21:07:46 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello,

Although I've been a member of this list since June last year this is only my third post. It's just that good a read.

Anyway, I am trying to create a relatively small (approx 20~30px across) circle. I can make the selection just fine, but when converting it to a path (for future use), the accuracy is a bit off. It's not so much of a circle anymore, it's more bean shaped. But, hang on, whilst hovering over the "Selection to Path" button it tells me I can press shift to get "Advanced options".

Whoa there. They're not advanced options, they're uber-extra-super advanced options. Do you need a degree to use them?

What exactly do I need to alter to encourage my path to more accurately follow the selection boundaries?

Thanks very much for any help you can give. Adam

David Neary
2006-02-20 22:15:05 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Adam Cooper wrote:

But, hang on, whilst hovering
over the "Selection to Path" button it tells me I can press shift to get "Advanced options".

Whoa there. They're not advanced options, they're uber-extra-super advanced options. Do you need a degree to use them?

Well, yes. Fax me your B.Sc. and I'll put you on track.

What exactly do I need to alter to encourage my path to more accurately follow the selection boundaries?

Joking...

Essentially, all the "small" numbers ( can also get a little bit smaller (but not too much).

Play around :)

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2006-02-22 09:38:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Adam Cooper writes:

Anyway, I am trying to create a relatively small (approx 20~30px across) circle.

The best way to create a path that represents a perfect circle is probably to import an SVG from a vector editor or to open the Script-Fu console and use something like

(gimp-path-import-string 1 "" -1 0 0)

Yes, we should definitely add an easier way to do this, especially since all the functionality for basic shapes is already available in GIMP, it is just not exposed in any usable way.

Sven

Simon Budig
2006-02-22 14:25:29 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Adam Cooper writes:

Anyway, I am trying to create a relatively small (approx 20~30px across) circle.

The best way to create a path that represents a perfect circle is probably to import an SVG from a vector editor or to open the Script-Fu console and use something like

For now better use , as Sven
found out the circle element has a bug that has just been fixed in CVS HEAD. This will be fixed in 2.2.11.

Yes, we should definitely add an easier way to do this, especially since all the functionality for basic shapes is already available in GIMP, it is just not exposed in any usable way.

In CVS head there also is
(gimp-vectors-bezier-stroke-new-ellipse ...) which could be used, but arguably the SVG import is still simpler since it immediately creates a path object, which needs to be created manually for -stroke-new-ellipse first.

This will not be backported to 2.2.x, you have to wait for 2.4 to see this in a stable release.

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2006-02-22 14:33:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann writes:

As Simon and me just figured out, this doesn't work correctly due to a bug in the SVG parser. As a workaround, until the fix reaches you, you can use .

Sven