RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

new Gimp book, about time

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

new Gimp book, about time Colin Brace 15 Feb 18:11
  new Gimp book, about time John R. Culleton 15 Feb 18:27
  new Gimp book, about time Sven Neumann 15 Feb 18:32
   new Gimp book, about time John R. Culleton 15 Feb 19:28
    new Gimp book, about time Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 16 Feb 02:22
Colin Brace
2006-02-15 18:11:38 UTC (about 18 years ago)

In the process of learning Gimp (ongoing project), I've wondered about the absence of books dedicated to it, at least since 2001 or thereabouts. I am therefore intrigued to (finally) see a new title, now preannounced on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590595874/104-2820490-0282337

As a suggested purchase, Amazon pairs it with O'Reilly's Pocket Reference (2000), documenting Gimp 1.2 </>

Yes, I realize the author actively participates in this ML.

Though I realize there are many useful tutorials around, a well-written, well-edited manual and reference work will be very useful, and I look forward to seeing this work when it appears in April.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

John R. Culleton
2006-02-15 18:27:16 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 12:11, Colin Brace wrote:

In the process of learning Gimp (ongoing project), I've wondered about the absence of books dedicated to it, at least since 2001 or thereabouts. I am therefore intrigued to (finally) see a new title, now preannounced on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590595874/104-2820490-0282337

As a suggested purchase, Amazon pairs it with O'Reilly's Pocket Reference (2000), documenting Gimp 1.2 </>

Yes, I realize the author actively participates in this ML.

Though I realize there are many useful tutorials around, a well-written, well-edited manual and reference work will be very useful, and I look forward to seeing this work when it appears in April.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Gimp is a moving target. An author of a 500 page book has to pick a version or versions and write around those. On this list many/most are not so much concerned with installation problems but keeping up with the changes in the user interface and also new features such as possible embryonic CMYK capabilities. So I would be interested in a book built around some recent version, if not 2.4 then at least 2.3xx. If someone comes up with a book that is smaller, cheaper and more up to date I will buy it.

Sven Neumann
2006-02-15 18:32:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi,

Colin Brace writes:

Though I realize there are many useful tutorials around

I hope you are also aware of the GIMP user manual which is hosted at http://docs.gimp.org/.

Sven

John R. Culleton
2006-02-15 19:28:13 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 12:32, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Colin Brace writes:

Though I realize there are many useful tutorials around

I hope you are also aware of the GIMP user manual which is hosted at http://docs.gimp.org/.

Sven
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

It is available in pdf form which is a big help. I am probably going to print out the main portion.

Three questions:

1.There is no index in the pdf copy. Is one available elsehere?

2. The current edition is dated December and is current as of 2.2.x apparently. That is excellent. Now, is there any indication of when a 2.4 based version would be available? In other words if 2.4 came out in, say, March 2006 in what month would an updated manual be expected?

3. I still have in a ring binder the 900 plus page manual written by Karin and Olof Kylander. Is the current manual related to that manual or are they separate publications?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-02-16 02:22:53 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 04:28 pm, John R. Culleton wrote:

It is available in pdf form which is a big help. I am probably going to print out the main portion.

Three questions:

1.There is no index in the pdf copy. Is one available elsehere?

I don't know. The PDF build proccess should generate one. Ifit does nto this must be reported as a bug oto the documentation document

2. The current edition is dated December and is current as of 2.2.x apparently. That is excellent. Now, is there any indication of when a 2.4 based version would be available? In other words if 2.4 came out in, say, March 2006 in what month would an updated manual be expected?

Bad news here.
Currently, all docwriters/translators are working based on the stable version (i.e. 2.2.x) only.
That means that work will only begin for 2.4 when it is out, which implies in a gap of a couple months at least for a version covering most new features.

3. I still have in a ring binder the 900 plus page manual written by Karin and Olof Kylander. Is the current manual related to that manual or are they separate publications?

AFAIK they are separate publications. JS
->