RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

opening Images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

opening Images Page Sands 09 Feb 22:33
  opening Images Vytautas P. 09 Feb 22:55
opening Images Bob Long 09 Feb 22:55
  opening Images Page Sands 09 Feb 23:16
opening Images Bob Long 09 Feb 23:54
Page Sands
2006-02-09 22:33:23 UTC (about 18 years ago)

opening Images

I'm new to the list and I've been using gimp for several months. I like browse image thumbnails from within Windows (I know I) and I think I'm inadvertently causing multiple instances of The Gimp to run in the background as I can easily end up with 15-20 Gimp menus.

Is there a better way to do this?

All the best, Page

Bob Long
2006-02-09 22:55:02 UTC (about 18 years ago)

opening Images

On Friday, February 10, 2006 7:33 AM [GMT+1=CET], Page Sands wrote:

I'm new to the list and I've been using gimp for several months. I like browse image thumbnails from within Windows (I know I) and I think I'm inadvertently causing multiple instances of The Gimp to run in the background as I can easily end up with 15-20 Gimp menus.

Could you please explain further? If you are simply using the Windows file manager, with View|Thumbnails set so that images show as thumbnails, then the GIMP itself should not be activated. Maybe you are referring to something else? Which version of Windows?

If you mean that you actually open an image for editing with GIMP, and *then* you get a new instance of the GIMP each time you open a new image, you need to change the file associations so that you use gimp-win-remote.exe.

Vytautas P.
2006-02-09 22:55:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

opening Images

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:33:23 +0200, Page Sands wrote:

I think I'm inadvertently causing multiple instances of The Gimp to run in the background as I can easily end up with 15-20 Gimp menus.

Is there a better way to do this?

What is your version of Win? I remember using it on win98 and I had to change image files' editing associations from GIMP to gimpwin.

Page Sands
2006-02-09 23:16:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

opening Images

I'm using a the Windows XP home version. I am using Windows Explorer to browse the files using the thumbnail view. I see an image worth investigating, click on it, and The Gimp loads. I process the image. Save a copy and close both images down.

Repeat the process. After doing this any number of times, I end up with 15-20 menus for The Gimp and eventually the machines bogs out. I have to routinely close Gimp menus in order to get just one instance. This takes some time and The Gimp doesn't like it.

I wanted to know if I could have The Gimp open and still select images within the thumbnail view of Windows Explorer without causing new instances of the program to open.

Many thanks for the informative replies.

Page UK

On 2/9/06, Bob Long wrote:

On Friday, February 10, 2006 7:33 AM [GMT+1=CET], Page Sands wrote:

Could you please explain further? If you are simply using the Windows file manager, with View|Thumbnails set so that images show as thumbnails, then the GIMP itself should not be activated. Maybe you are referring to something else? Which version of Windows?

If you mean that you actually open an image for editing with GIMP, and *then* you get a new instance of the GIMP each time you open a new image, you need to change the file associations so that you use gimp-win-remote.exe.

--
Bob Long

Bob Long
2006-02-09 23:54:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

opening Images

On Friday, February 10, 2006 8:16 AM [GMT+1=CET], Page Sands wrote:

I'm using a the Windows XP home version. I am using Windows Explorer to browse the files using the thumbnail view. I see an image worth investigating, click on it, and The Gimp loads. I process the image. Save a copy and close both images down.

Repeat the process. After doing this any number of times, I end up with 15-20 menus for The Gimp and eventually the machines bogs out. I have to routinely close Gimp menus in order to get just one instance. This takes some time and The Gimp doesn't like it.

I wanted to know if I could have The Gimp open and still select images within the thumbnail view of Windows Explorer without causing new instances of the program to open.

Ok. In which case you need to change the file associations to use gimp-win-remote.exe rather then the gimp executable itself. If you don't want to do that, a work around is: after GIMP has started once, rather than clicking on the subsequent images, *drag* them from Windows Explorer into the already open GIMP. That way, you won't get another instance of the GIMP.