RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Perspective correction (was:doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com d

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does peer miaskowski 06 Feb 07:10
  doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does Geoffrey 06 Feb 15:07
  doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does John R. Culleton 06 Feb 21:33
   doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does Tom Williams 07 Feb 04:32
doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does Michael Schumacher 06 Feb 16:19
doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does peer miaskowski 07 Feb 14:46
  Perspective correction (was:doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does) Bruno Postle 07 Feb 16:32
3269285.post@talk.nabble.com 07 Oct 20:17
  Perspective correction (was:doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com d MB Clicktoscan 24 Mar 20:08
peer miaskowski
2006-02-06 07:10:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does

Hi list!

Is it possible to do with the gimp (automatically?) what www.scanR.com does?

Geoffrey
2006-02-06 15:07:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

peer miaskowski wrote:

Hi list!

Is it possible to do with the gimp (automatically?) what www.scanR.com does?

I'm not sure you would want it to. Seems the primary function of scanr is scanning and sending, neither of which is native to GIMP. At least I don't think so. I do see that it cleans up the image, but I suspect that's a lot of propaganda. They'll certainly show you the best efforts the software makes.

I doubt there's any software that is going to 'magically' align and correct errors in a photographed document. Really, how does it know what's a shadow verses a border or such?

I'd suggest you're probably better off sending the image with your phone to an email and then cleaning it up by hand.

Michael Schumacher
2006-02-06 16:19:47 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Von: Geoffrey

I doubt there's any software that is going to 'magically' align and correct errors in a photographed document. Really, how does it know what's a shadow verses a border or such?

Alignment is quite easy, though. Seen it on a mobile phone for business cards. It's all basic image recognition tasks (somewhat simplified, the process is formalized pretty well):

- extract primtives (e.g. the border of the card, the corners) - connect them to shapes (some kind of trapezoid, for the business card) - compare the shape with known shapes (the aren't that many different views) - if we have a match, apply perspective corrections (trapezoid -> rectangle) - if an error occured, display the message

HTH, Michael

John R. Culleton
2006-02-06 21:33:08 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Monday 06 February 2006 01:10 am, peer miaskowski wrote:

Hi list!

Is it possible to do with the gimp (automatically?) what www.scanR.com

does?

On Linux systems Xsane, a scanner program, is a useful plugin.

Tom Williams
2006-02-07 04:32:35 UTC (about 18 years ago)

John R. Culleton wrote:

On Monday 06 February 2006 01:10 am, peer miaskowski wrote:

Hi list!

Is it possible to do with the gimp (automatically?) what www.scanR.com

does?

Yep, it works very well. :)

John, I've been sending you e-mail but I don't know if you've been getting it. Check your junk mail folder just in case. :)

Peace...

Tom

peer miaskowski
2006-02-07 14:46:33 UTC (about 18 years ago)

John wrote:

My problem is not scanning files to Linux. I do have many prictures I took using my digicam. Many of these pictures are photos of pages of books or photos of "whiteboard-drawings". What I want to do is: correct/normalize the perspective and size of the images (best "automatically") so that it makes sense to archive and/or print them.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this. With the gimp? With another software?

Bruno Postle
2006-02-07 16:32:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Perspective correction (was:doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com does)

On Tue 07-Feb-2006 at 21:46 +0800, peer miaskowski wrote:

Many of these pictures are photos of pages of books or photos of "whiteboard-drawings". What I want to do is: correct/normalize the perspective and size of the images (best "automatically") so that it makes sense to archive and/or print them.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this. With the gimp? With another software?

Hugin can be used to correct perspective very effectively, but it isn't "automatic":

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/perspective/

MB Clicktoscan
2006-03-24 20:08:15 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Perspective correction (was:doing with the gimp what www.scanR.com d

Hi Birt,

You are right, clicktoscan will dewarp your images and will also allow you to upload via the site directly, via your email account, or even with your camera phone.

You can manage all your docs on line with the free account, and send them to other via email as a pdf or as a fax.

Pls feel free to pass our link to any other curious users, to try the beta, it is free for the time being.

www.clicktoscan.com

Mike --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/doing-with-the-gimp-what-www.scanR.com-does-t1067336.html#a3577401 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.