RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Multi-Layer Edits?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Multi-Layer Edits? Chris Spencer 03 Feb 14:07
  Multi-Layer Edits? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 03 Feb 15:26
   Multi-Layer Edits? Chris Spencer 05 Feb 15:33
Chris Spencer
2006-02-03 14:07:01 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Multi-Layer Edits?

I couldn't find this in the docs anywhere, but is it possible to make a selection and then move or transform that selection across multiple layers? For instance, if I had a file with a layer containing line art and another layer containing color for that line art, could I select an area of the image and move both the line art and color in that selection simultaneously? As far as I can tell, I must currently do each move separately.

Chris

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-02-03 15:26:14 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Multi-Layer Edits?

On Friday 03 February 2006 11:07 am, Chris Spencer wrote:

I couldn't find this in the docs anywhere, but is it possible to make a selection and then move or transform that selection across multiple layers? For instance, if I had a file with a layer containing line art and another layer containing color for that line art, could I select an area of the image and move both the line art and color in that selection simultaneously? As far as I can tell, I must currently do each move separately.

Chris

Hi Chris,

There is a way to apply a transform to multiple layers - you have to link then together (in the layers dialog click at the side of the "eye" icon, which indicates visibility).

Linked layers are transformed along with he active layer.

However, these linked transforms are not currently respecting the selection. That is: the linked layers are transformed as a whole.

This is a bug that is currently pending a fix. Maybe you can find a work-around it to make your work for the time being, or wait unitl someone fixes this bug.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315308

Regards, JS
->

Chris Spencer
2006-02-05 15:33:44 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Multi-Layer Edits?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Friday 03 February 2006 11:07 am, Chris Spencer wrote: Hi Chris,

There is a way to apply a transform to multiple layers - you have to link then together (in the layers dialog click at the side of the "eye" icon, which indicates visibility).

Linked layers are transformed along with he active layer.

However, these linked transforms are not currently respecting the selection. That is: the linked layers are transformed as a whole.

This is a bug that is currently pending a fix. Maybe you can find a work-around it to make your work for the time being, or wait unitl someone fixes this bug.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315308

That's interesting. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a GIMP hacker, but I can't imagine the fix being terribly complicated. All that's required is to loop through all linked layers when performing the operation, which is what you currently have to do by hand to achieve the desired affect.

Chris