RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Uninstaller?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Uninstaller? Bell 24 Jan 20:22
  Uninstaller? Carol Spears 24 Jan 21:11
   Uninstaller? Mike Williams 24 Jan 23:02
    Uninstaller? Akkana Peck 24 Jan 23:29
Uninstaller Bell 25 Jan 01:29
Uninstaller? Bell 25 Jan 03:28
20060124200005.5B5EFB3D331@... 07 Oct 20:17
  Uninstaller? Mark Szymanski 25 Jan 00:02
Bell
2006-01-24 20:22:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

I am straight up a novice, I don't like the fact that now that I have The Gimp installed, it took over any and all image folders, and will only open them in Gimp. I do not want my windows folders, or other program folders to be "ran" automatically through Gimp. Please help. Also, if I uninstall Gimp, will the images that it commandeered be lost, or will they go back where they should be with their "ME given"name?

Carol Spears
2006-01-24 21:11:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:22:36PM -0600, Bell wrote:

I am straight up a novice, I don't like the fact that now that I have The Gimp installed, it took over any and all image folders, and will only open them in Gimp. I do not want my windows folders, or other program folders to be "ran" automatically through Gimp. Please help. Also, if I uninstall Gimp, will the images that it commandeered be lost, or will they go back where they should be with their "ME given"name?

i think you can change that behaviour by setting something in that windows manager thing -- i can't remember the name of it now. Display Manager? it has been a while since i used windows, but they set it up so that you can tell it which application to use to open different kinds of files.

as far as removing it goes -- the gimp i use only knows where the images it has touched are on my desktop. it scans only its own resources on start up and does not attach itself to any of your images. you can remove it cleanly and quickly that way.

i am curious, during the instalation process, did you agree to have gimp manage all of your images? your problems are due to your initial conversation with the installer i think and not with gimp itself.

i am sorry it was not a nicer experience for you.

carol

Mike Williams
2006-01-24 23:02:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:22:36PM -0600, Bell wrote:

I am straight up a novice, I don't like the fact that now that I have The Gimp installed, it took over any and all image folders, and will only open them in Gimp.

There is a feature in windows called file associations that allows users to select what programs will be used for various files, based on the file extensions. You can change those associations easily enough. The details vary with different version and I do not have ME installed here, but here is a link to a detailed article about modifying file associations in windows me:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262808

Carol Spears wrote:

i am curious, during the instalation process, did you agree to have gimp manage all of your images? your problems are due to your initial conversation with the installer i think and not with gimp itself.

Pretty sure that Carol is correct, I've never installed gimp on windows, but I would be very surprised if the windows installation changed the associations without asking.

Mike

Akkana Peck
2006-01-24 23:29:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

Mike Williams writes:

Pretty sure that Carol is correct, I've never installed gimp on windows, but I would be very surprised if the windows installation changed the associations without asking.

The current 2.2 installer asks during the install, and defaults to "no" for all file types except maybe XCF (which of course it should claim). The defaults seem exactly right. Of course, if you check them all on, then GIMP will claim all those file types, but that's an action the user has to take.

If there's a case where GIMP makes those file associations even though you didn't select the checkboxes, I'm sure the windows gimp maintainer would want to hear about that. (But GIMPwin-users might be a better place to ask about that.) When we tried it here, it worked fine and didn't claim any image file types it shouldn't have.

...Akkana

Mark Szymanski
2006-01-25 00:02:28 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 12:00 -0800, gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Uninstaller? (Bell)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:22:36 -0600 From: "Bell"
Subject: [Gimp-user] Uninstaller?
To:
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I am straight up a novice, I don't like the fact that now that I have The Gimp installed, it took over any and all image folders, and will only open them in Gimp. I do not want my windows folders, or other program folders to be "ran" automatically through Gimp. Please help. Also, if I uninstall Gimp, will the images that it commandeered be lost, or will they go back where they should be with their "ME given"name? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-user/attachments/20060124/dd4f141b/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

First off, what has happened here is no more catastrophic than a simple file association issue. Uninstalling the Gimp is totally unnecessary just to try to correct a problem which is not really a problem. In Windows Explorer, you can simply click on "Tools" "Folder Options" and then "File Types" to look for the file extensions that you wish to re-associate with a different program.

Secondly, even if you do uninstall the Gimp, you will not lose any of your images. Not even the ones you may have created with the Gimp. After all, they are just images, not an integral part of the program software itself. The uninstaller would not know of their existence. Also, they will remain with the name they were given in the location they were saved.

Hope this helps.

Bell
2006-01-25 01:29:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, pointers and tips. Yes, I do like Gimp, and did not want to uninstall it.

Bell
2006-01-25 03:28:17 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Uninstaller?

Yes, I R A ediot, and I think I was half asleep during install, so I probably did say to the installer--sure thing, that sounds great. Anyway,what Mark suggested did the trick. Thank you, Jason ----- Original Message ---