RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Deleting background on photos

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Deleting background on photos tcb888 (sent by Nabble.com) 24 Jan 01:21
  Deleting background on photos jim feldman 24 Jan 21:57
  Deleting background on photos Vytautas Povilaitis 24 Jan 23:43
   Deleting background on photos Rikard Johnels 25 Jan 06:47
tcb888 (sent by Nabble.com)
2006-01-24 01:21:52 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I need to remove the background of a photo and can't figure out how to quickly do this using GIMP. Basically, I have about 40 photos that I need to remove the background from for someone's website. I tried using the eraser to manually do it by hand but its taking too long. Can someone let me know if they have any ideas on how to quickly take care of this?? Attached is a sample photo, my client wants the photo to just show patio furniture with none of the grassy background. If I click on the grass to select the color to cut/delete, it also picks up some of the furniture as well... --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Deleting-background-on-photos-t983447.html#a2547097 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

jim feldman
2006-01-24 21:57:16 UTC (over 18 years ago)

tcb888 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

I need to remove the background of a photo and can't figure out how to quickly do this using GIMP. Basically, I have about 40 photos that I need to remove the background from for someone's website. I tried using the eraser to manually do it by hand but its taking too long. Can someone let me know if they have any ideas on how to quickly take care of this?? Attached is a sample photo, my client wants the photo to just show patio furniture with none of the grassy background. If I click on the grass to select the color to cut/delete, it also picks up some of the furniture as well...

Your sample didn't attach. Have you tried looking at the Select Contigious Regions tool (the magic wand icon) and either quick mask or layer mask?

jim

Vytautas Povilaitis
2006-01-24 23:43:14 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Maybye it would be more simple to select furniture with Ctrl+Z (you can append regions ticking where you need while holding Shift key) and then invert selection (Ctrl+I) and erase background (Ctrl+K.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:21:52 -0500, tcb888 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

I need to remove the background of a photo and can't figure out how to quickly do this using GIMP. Basically, I have about 40 photos that I need to remove the background from for someone's website. I tried using the eraser to manually do it by hand but its taking too long. Can someone let me know if they have any ideas on how to quickly take care of this?? Attached is a sample photo, my client wants the photo to just show patio furniture with none of the grassy background. If I click on the grass to select the color to cut/delete, it also picks up some of the furniture as well...
--
View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/Deleting-background-on-photos-t983447.html#a2547097 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

Rikard Johnels
2006-01-25 06:47:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 23:43, Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

Maybye it would be more simple to select furniture with Ctrl+Z (you can append regions ticking where you need while holding Shift key) and then invert selection (Ctrl+I) and erase background (Ctrl+K.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:21:52 -0500, tcb888 (sent by Nabble.com)

wrote:

--
View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/Deleting-background-on-photos-t983447.html#a2547097 Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Look at any of the numerous tutorials on changing the background scattered over the net.
I have tried atleast 3 different different, with differing effect depending on what i needed done and the original picture. (Anything from removing ppl/items in the bg, to "changing" DOF)