RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

psd to xcf files *with* layers ...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Marc G. Fournier 16 Jan 06:19
  psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Carol Spears 16 Jan 09:07
   psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Vytautas Povilaitis 17 Jan 00:06
    psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Carol Spears 17 Jan 00:30
     psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Marc G. Fournier 17 Jan 00:38
      psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Carol Spears 17 Jan 01:16
       psd to xcf files *with* layers ... Simon Budig 17 Jan 01:43
  psd to xcf files *with* layers ... JC Dill 17 Jan 03:11
Marc G. Fournier
2006-01-16 06:19:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Is this at all possible?

My wife has been using Photoshop, and I'm trying to get her to convert to Gimp instead (so that I can work on the same files under Unix) ... the biggest problem is she loses her layers, or, at least, the 'text/font' components of them ...

Is there any way of converting a psd file to xcf so that you don't lose that information? Or, at a minimum, some way of being able to determine the font type / size used within the image itself?

thanks ...

---- Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org) Email: scrappy@hub.org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Carol Spears
2006-01-16 09:07:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:19:03AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Is this at all possible?

My wife has been using Photoshop, and I'm trying to get her to convert to Gimp instead (so that I can work on the same files under Unix) ... the biggest problem is she loses her layers, or, at least, the 'text/font' components of them ...

Is there any way of converting a psd file to xcf so that you don't lose that information? Or, at a minimum, some way of being able to determine the font type / size used within the image itself?

nope, the gimp psd plug-in doesn't do that at the moment.

carol

Vytautas Povilaitis
2006-01-17 00:06:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Wouldn't it be possible to decompose psd pictures to layers and then export to xcf?

Just a wild guess. Never useg Photoshop in my life :)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:07:18 +0200, Carol Spears wrote:

Is this at all possible?

My wife has been using Photoshop, and I'm trying to get her to convert to
Gimp instead (so that I can work on the same files under Unix) ... the biggest problem is she loses her layers, or, at least, the 'text/font' components of them ...

carol

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Carol Spears
2006-01-17 00:30:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:06:56AM +0200, Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

Gimp instead (so that I can work on the same files under Unix) ... the biggest problem is she loses her layers, or, at least, the 'text/font' components of them ...

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Wouldn't it be possible to decompose psd pictures to layers and then export to xcf?

well, gimp does open psd format files. it does not retain the layer effects or text (like the font size, text that was printed and color it was printed in). this question was specifically about the psd text layer.

more, it is totally possible for this to be written into the gimp psd plug-in -- it just hasn't been done yet.

carol

Marc G. Fournier
2006-01-17 00:38:19 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Wouldn't it be possible to decompose psd pictures to layers and then export to xcf?

well, gimp does open psd format files. it does not retain the layer effects or text (like the font size, text that was printed and color it was printed in). this question was specifically about the psd text layer.

Is there any method of taking an existing graphic, and, other then by major trial and error, determining the font type used? When one watches way way too much TV, and sees all of the analysis software that the various CSIs and such play with, you start to wonder what software you yourself are missing :)

more, it is totally possible for this to be written into the gimp psd plug-in -- it just hasn't been done yet.

'k, being around OSS long enough, I'm not going to ask 'when is it going to be done", since the answer i "when someone gets around to it ... :)

---- Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org) Email: scrappy@hub.org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Carol Spears
2006-01-17 01:16:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:38:19PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to decompose psd pictures to layers and then export to xcf?

Is there any method of taking an existing graphic, and, other then by major trial and error, determining the font type used? When one watches way way too much TV, and sees all of the analysis software that the various CSIs and such play with, you start to wonder what software you yourself are missing :)

well, sure. you can probably find that software if you follow that yellow brick road i first saw on television as well ;)

did you ever see the software work on AsianCSI?

there actually is a web site that will look at a jpeg and suggest the fonts that were used. you got the color picker for the color and the measure tool to help with determining the size.

i wish i could remember the name of the web site. it is something cryptic like "whatthefont"....

'k, being around OSS long enough, I'm not going to ask 'when is it going to be done", since the answer i "when someone gets around to it ... :)

it is interesting, actually, beyond the when "someone gets around to it" bit. neither photoshop or gimp do much to encourage the use of their native format on other software.

there are so many volunteer organizations and such that have done their flyers and such with propietary software. this question usually comes up in regards to something like this because a date needs to be edited or something. it is interesting that the orgs don't have a hacker volunteer (ever) who understands software at the level it would take to add this to the psd plug-in. at least, there were several times it was about flyers that I was asked this question.

politically, is it in gimps interest that we don't read psd text layers or is it in photoshops interest?

carol

Simon Budig
2006-01-17 01:43:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Carol Spears (carol@gimp.org) wrote:

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:38:19PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Is there any method of taking an existing graphic, and, other then by major trial and error, determining the font type used? When one watches

[...]

there actually is a web site that will look at a jpeg and suggest the fonts that were used. you got the color picker for the color and the measure tool to help with determining the size.

i wish i could remember the name of the web site. it is something cryptic like "whatthefont"....

Yep: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

it is interesting, actually, beyond the when "someone gets around to it" bit. neither photoshop or gimp do much to encourage the use of their native format on other software.

there are so many volunteer organizations and such that have done their flyers and such with propietary software. this question usually comes up in regards to something like this because a date needs to be edited or something. it is interesting that the orgs don't have a hacker volunteer (ever) who understands software at the level it would take to add this to the psd plug-in. at least, there were several times it was about flyers that I was asked this question.

politically, is it in gimps interest that we don't read psd text layers or is it in photoshops interest?

Probably in PS's interest, since Adobe is the party no longer opening up their documentation of PSD. Without this documentation it would be tedious reverse engineering to get the information of layer styles and fonts used.

Bye,
Simon

JC Dill
2006-01-17 03:11:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Is this at all possible?

What happens if you save her .psd files as .tiff (with layers) in Photoshop, and then open the .tiff in Gimp?

jc