RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

open PSD failure

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

open PSD failure net kat 10 Jan 21:24
  open PSD failure Michael Schumacher 10 Jan 23:10
open PSD failure Michael Schumacher 11 Jan 11:13
20060111014831.GF684@schmor... 07 Oct 20:17
net kat
2006-01-10 21:24:32 UTC (over 18 years ago)

open PSD failure

I have a bunch of images in .psd format (native photoshop) but which GIMP won't open, giving me this message:

"Gimp Message

Opening /[image path]/image.psd failed:

Plug-in could not open image"

Plug in? I'm almost 100% sure I've used Gimp to both open and write psd files before..any suggestions on this problem?

thank you!

nk

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-10 23:10:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

open PSD failure

net kat wrote:

Plug in? I'm almost 100% sure I've used Gimp to both open and write psd files before..any suggestions on this problem?

PSD isn't openly documented (IIRC it was until Photoshop 6.0), so from then on the support provided by the psd load/save plug-in is top some extent based on reengineering existing files. Of course, there might even be some features that are just not implemented yet, regardless of being documented or not.

So it is basically:

- if it works, fine - if it doesn't, bad luck

You could open a bug report in Bugzilla and attach the file there, but there are no promises if and when there will be a fix for it.

In order to be fair: it's the same problem the other way round: loading and saving GIMP's native format in other programs.

HTH, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-11 11:13:15 UTC (over 18 years ago)

open PSD failure

Von: Marc Lehmann

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:10:35PM +0100, Michael Schumacher wrote:

In order to be fair: it's the same problem the other way round: loading and saving GIMP's native format in other programs.

Huh? .xcf (what you probably mean) is certainly openly documented...

Its usage in other programs is discouraged, knowledge of GIMP internals is required to implement it and there is no documentation besides the source.

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/devel-docs/xcf.txt?rev=1.1&view=markup isn't really deep.

HTH,Michael