RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Yannick Patois 03 Dec 09:44
  How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Carol Spears 03 Dec 10:14
  How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 03 Dec 22:39
   How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Yannick Patois 05 Dec 12:29
  How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Akkana Peck 03 Dec 23:17
   How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Patrick Shanahan 03 Dec 23:30
  How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Olivier Ripoll 05 Dec 10:29
Yannick Patois
2005-12-03 09:44:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi,

When I hack a picture taken with my sony-dsc-s80 camera with the gimp, if I export in jpg, I cant read its format any more (the camera display "file error" instead of the hacked content).

Worse, when I want to print this picture o a public digital picture printer (one of those thing when one can slide her memory card in, select print and get the photo on paper), those hacked pictures are also not taken by the system.

What is the right format to choose when exporting? Is there a good selection in the jpeg export dialog (compression mode, etc)? Would I have to choose anopther export format? Use a postprocessing filter after writing a regular jpeg?

Thanks for any help.

Yannick

- -- _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________ | irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 1, rue de Bale | | http://garp.feelingsurfer.net/ | 67100 Strasbourg | | Tel-home: +(33)(0)3 88 84 88 16 | FRANCE | | Le Portail des Copains : http://rezo.net |

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDkVr3ZY3s/IVpRFIRAlrMAKCBpoFt+MscdnXjZUOiVCMjtU6TEwCeOwDm opIgvlKH3RwsI/hooC+IKjw=
=NKdW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Carol Spears
2005-12-03 10:14:33 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:44:39AM +0100, Yannick Patois wrote:

Hi,

When I hack a picture taken with my sony-dsc-s80 camera with the gimp, if I export in jpg, I cant read its format any more (the camera display "file error" instead of the hacked content).

how do you use the term "hack" here?

Worse, when I want to print this picture o a public digital picture printer (one of those thing when one can slide her memory card in, select print and get the photo on paper), those hacked pictures are also not taken by the system.

What is the right format to choose when exporting? Is there a good selection in the jpeg export dialog (compression mode, etc)? Would I have to choose anopther export format? Use a postprocessing filter after writing a regular jpeg?

you provided very good information about all the places the image failed, perhaps you could provide some information about what you did to the file with GIMP?

which filters did you use? GIMP is an image manipulation application, so it is possible to manipulate the image in a way that a kiosk photo printer might not understand it. "Export" means that there were some additional things that the software knew needed to be completed before the file format you requested could be made. This is the reason we would need to know more information about what you told gimp to do to the image....

carol

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-03 22:39:44 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Saturday 03 December 2005 06:44 am, Yannick Patois wrote:

[Gimp-user] How to create jpeg files compatible with a sony camera? Date: Today 06:44:39 am
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

Message was signed with unknown key 0x85694452. The validity of the signature cannot be verified. Hi,

Hi Yannick!

I do not know about the machinne, but as for the 'digital picture printer' - I bet you ghave named your files as '.jpeg' , haven't you? It happens taht someone, when doing some spec for digital photo standards, has said that valid file extensions are ".JPG" and ".jpg" (but not .jpeg) - I hads thei problem onde as well.

I hope this fixes it for you.

JS ->

Thanks for any help.

Yannick

--  _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________

| irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 1, rue de Bale               |     | http://garp.feelingsurfer.net/    | 67100 Strasbourg       |           | Tel-home: +(33)(0)3 88 84 88 16   | FRANCE           |                 | Le Portail des Copains : http://rezo.net       |                       |

End of signed message

Akkana Peck
2005-12-03 23:17:16 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Yannick Patois writes:

(and the same with a digital print machine)

I wonder if they need EXIF information from the image? EXIF is a way of storing information about a photo (date, exposure information, camera information, thumbnail, etc.) inside a JPEG image.

You don't mention what version of GIMP you have (for a while it was preserving EXIF, but that disappeared again in later version, alas) but you might try using another program to compare the exif information between a file straight off the camera and a file you've edited with GIMP.

If you have jhead, try: jhead -te camera_img.jpg edited_img.jpg which transfers all the EXIF from the original file to the edited file. Then see if that image works in the camera or print machine.

(jhead is in lots of linux distros already, and if not, it's at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/ -- the other program, "exif", doesn't appear to have an option to transfer all the EXIF from one file to another, so jhead is probably a better option.)

In fact, I just tried that (my husband has a Sony camera) and indeed, copying the EXIF from one of the original files made the camera see the file and got rid of that "file error" message. But here's the catch: the thumbnail that the camera shows is part of the EXIF, so it's showing me the thumbnail from the other image, not from the one I'm actually looking at. And it seems to notice that they're different and not want to zoom in.

I think GIMP adds a thumbnail on its own when it saves (at least, I remember seeing a checkbox for that in the JPEG Save As dialog). If you experiment a bit you can probably find a way to copy all the EXIF *except* the thumbnail (leaving that unchanged) so that your Sony will be happy. With any luck GIMP will get better EXIF support eventually, and will be able to handle this on its own ...

...Akkana

Patrick Shanahan
2005-12-03 23:30:58 UTC (over 18 years ago)

* Akkana Peck [12-03-05 17:20]:

You don't mention what version of GIMP you have (for a while it was preserving EXIF, but that disappeared again in later version, alas) but you might try using another program to compare the exif information between a file straight off the camera and a file you've edited with GIMP.

If you have jhead, try: jhead -te camera_img.jpg edited_img.jpg which transfers all the EXIF from the original file to the edited file. Then see if that image works in the camera or print machine.

(jhead is in lots of linux distros already, and if not, it's at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/ -- the other program, "exif", doesn't appear to have an option to transfer all the EXIF from one file to another, so jhead is probably a better option.)

exiftool by Phil Harvey, http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool will do a little more. It will extract full exif information from most *raw* formats and has ability to write/alter it into the output file, jpg/gif/mp3/png.....

Olivier Ripoll
2005-12-05 10:29:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Yannick Patois wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Yannick

Hi Yannick,

I had a perhaps similar problem with a Sony TV once (a KDS-R50XBR1). The jpeg I created in gimp (a full white screen) was not correctly displayed in the thumbnail view of the TV, and it was not possible to display it. I loaded the image in Irfan Viewer and saved it from there. The file size was different, and the image was perfectly displayed on the Sony TV. Try loading and saving in another program (Irafn on windows/wine or imagemagick convert/display). It might be the same problem.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Yannick Patois
2005-12-05 12:29:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Thanks for every answers I got.

There are clearly two problems there:

- - Sony problem: I cant display them on my camera. Well, it doesn't matter that much. I've seen this problem referenced on the web and it looks like there is a program (windows only, unfortunately) to correct this. Called TV (cant remember and I'm off-line now).

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris a écrit :

On Saturday 03 December 2005 06:44 am, Yannick Patois wrote:

I do not know about the machinne, but as for the 'digital picture printer' - I bet you ghave named your files as '.jpeg' , haven't you? It happens taht someone, when doing some spec for digital photo standards, has said that valid file extensions are ".JPG" and ".jpg" (but not .jpeg) - I hads thei problem onde as well.

For the second problem (more important), that I wasn't able to print my pictures, it seems that first I really have to name them dscxxxx.jpg (xxxx being 4 numbers). I have been successful with at least one with this.

I'll have a deeper look to see if there are any other point to consider in a week or so.

Thanks for your attention.

Yannick

PS: The version of Gimp I used was the 2.2 provided under Debian testing, on ia32 platform.

- -- _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________ | Garp on IRC (undernet/freenode) | 1, rue de Bale | | http://garp.feelingsurfer.net/ | 67100 Strasbourg | | Tel-home: +(33)(0)3 88 84 88 16 | FRANCE | | Portail d'informations de qualite: http://rezo.net | -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDlCSAZY3s/IVpRFIRAsgwAKCGMxi/eiHxC+L2DoFv/I0tZrJ6ZwCgn9wA H499gbe0jMerGfkRGBFwkIo=
=G7ZS
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----