RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Font weight

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Font weight Joao Cruz Morais 29 Nov 20:43
  Font weight Carol Spears 29 Nov 22:03
   Font weight Joao Cruz Morais 30 Nov 02:38
  Font weight Mark Gordon 29 Nov 22:33
Joao Cruz Morais
2005-11-29 20:43:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Font weight

Hi,

Im trying to type some text and bold it but can't seem to accomplish this with the last version of Gimp. Am I missing something or this is just not possible?

Thank you,
João C Morais

Carol Spears
2005-11-29 22:03:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Font weight

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:43:36PM +0000, Joao Cruz Morais wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to type some text and bold it but can't seem to accomplish this with the last version of Gimp. Am I missing something or this is just not possible?

gimp will only use what the font delivers. you will need to find a font that has a bold version.

the gimp freetype plug-in (freetype.gimp.org) might have something like that available. i haven't looked in a while.

personally, i respect the font about this. one way that font authors (could) make money for their efforts (and making a font is no easy task) is to release the regular font for free and then to sell the complete set. personally, i think that any software app that allows users to over-ride this option that the font makers have should be made illegal and its sales considered at least a misdeameanor of theft in civil courts anywhere. any professional needing such a thing from a pixel painting app should also seriously consider the way they use the title "professional". they are the first group of people who should understand how that works.

anything else you want?

carol

Mark Gordon
2005-11-29 22:33:10 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Font weight

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 19:43 +0000, Joao Cruz Morais wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,
João C Morais

The default font for me is "Sans". If I click the button next to the font name, with images of "Aa" in that font, I get a font selection dialog. I can then select "Sans Bold" or "Sans Italic" or "Sans Bold Italic" or any of a wide range of other such fonts. YMMV.

Admittedly it's not as easy as selecting a block of text and clicking a "make this bold" button; the font selection is a bit more low-level than that.

-Mark Gordon, sans rant

Joao Cruz Morais
2005-11-30 02:38:02 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Font weight

Thanks for the quick reply.
I never stopped to think that bolding a font actually means using another set of letters.

No further questions! :)

Rgds, João

On 11/29/05, Carol Spears wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:43:36PM +0000, Joao Cruz Morais wrote:

Hi,

gimp will only use what the font delivers. you will need to find a font that has a bold version.

the gimp freetype plug-in (freetype.gimp.org) might have something like that available. i haven't looked in a while.

personally, i respect the font about this. one way that font authors (could) make money for their efforts (and making a font is no easy task) is to release the regular font for free and then to sell the complete set. personally, i think that any software app that allows users to over-ride this option that the font makers have should be made illegal and its sales considered at least a misdeameanor of theft in civil courts anywhere. any professional needing such a thing from a pixel painting app should also seriously consider the way they use the title "professional". they are the first group of people who should understand how that works.

anything else you want?

carol