RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Library confusion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Library confusion Bernd Eggink 26 Nov 11:56
  Library confusion Matt Gushee 27 Nov 21:32
   Library confusion Bernd Eggink 27 Nov 23:31
Bernd Eggink
2005-11-26 11:56:02 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Library confusion

I compiled and installed the latest version of gtk, gimp etc., and nearly everything works fine. With one exception: The program 'ossxmix' complains about missing libraries libgtk-1.2 and libgdk-1.2.

I'm confused. Are these parts of an ancient version of gtk (without +)? And if so, where can I download the sources, as I would prefer to compile them myself?

Thanks for any help, Bernd

Matt Gushee
2005-11-27 21:32:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Library confusion

Bernd Eggink wrote:

I compiled and installed the latest version of gtk, gimp etc., and nearly everything works fine. With one exception: The program 'ossxmix' complains about missing libraries libgtk-1.2 and libgdk-1.2.

This is not really a GIMP-related issue, since the GTK libraries became separate from the GIMP a long time ago. Nonetheless, there happen to be people here who know something about this ;-)

I'm confused. Are these parts of an ancient version of gtk (without +)?

Well, it's pretty old. But AFAIK the lack of a + symbol doesn't mean anything. I believe the official name of the package as a whole is GTK+, though specific packagers (e.g. Linux distributions) sometimes omit the +, but in any case the actual shared libraries that get installed on your system don't have + in their names. At least they don't on my system, and I'm pretty sure it's not a meaningful distinction.

And if so, where can I download the sources, as I would prefer to compile them myself?

You should be able to find them via www.gtk.org.

Just beware of replacing newer files with older ones. That *probably* won't happen, since you say you've got the latest GIMP etc. ... that implies you have GTK2 installed, so there shouldn't be any conflict. Still, I'd suggest doing a dry run in a fresh install directory, just to make sure you're not going to overwrite anything important.

Best of luck.

Bernd Eggink
2005-11-27 23:31:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Library confusion

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:32:01PM -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:

Bernd Eggink wrote:

This is not really a GIMP-related issue, since the GTK libraries became separate from the GIMP a long time ago. Nonetheless, there happen to be people here who know something about this ;-)

I'm confused. Are these parts of an ancient version of gtk (without +)?

Well, it's pretty old. But AFAIK the lack of a + symbol doesn't mean anything. I believe the official name of the package as a whole is GTK+, though specific packagers (e.g. Linux distributions) sometimes omit the +, but in any case the actual shared libraries that get installed on your system don't have + in their names. At least they don't on my system, and I'm pretty sure it's not a meaningful distinction.

And if so, where can I download the sources, as I would prefer to compile them myself?

You should be able to find them via www.gtk.org.

Just beware of replacing newer files with older ones. That *probably* won't happen, since you say you've got the latest GIMP etc. ... that implies you have GTK2 installed, so there shouldn't be any conflict. Still, I'd suggest doing a dry run in a fresh install directory, just to make sure you're not going to overwrite anything important.

Thanks. I daringly installed it into /usr/local/lib, and anything works fine now. Fortunately the naming scheme had been changed in gtk+-2.x, so no conflicts arise.

Regards, Bernd