RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Editing .psd files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Editing .psd files Demetrius Jones 25 Nov 12:37
  Editing .psd files Carol Spears 25 Nov 16:24
  Editing .psd files Eric P 25 Nov 19:12
Demetrius Jones
2005-11-25 12:37:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Editing .psd files

I was wondering if there is a way to edit files that were created in Adobe Photoshop. I can open a .psd file in the Gimp but I cannot seem to be able to manipulate the image layers. Any help would be appreciated. I currently use the Gimp on the Windows XP platform.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Carol Spears
2005-11-25 16:24:17 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Editing .psd files

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 03:37:12AM -0800, Demetrius Jones wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to edit files that were created in Adobe Photoshop. I can open a .psd file in the Gimp but I cannot seem to be able to manipulate the image layers. Any help would be appreciated. I currently use the Gimp on the Windows XP platform.

psd editing is limited in gimp. not as limited as xcf is in photoshop though.

gimp will not edit text layers as text.

i think your problem is that the transparency has been toggled on all of the layers. to see if this is the case, Dialogs-->Layers. look to see if the transparency toggle is set on. if so, toggle it off.

carol

Eric P
2005-11-25 19:12:09 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Editing .psd files

Demetrius Jones wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to edit files that were created in Adobe Photoshop. I can open a .psd file in the Gimp but I cannot seem to be able to manipulate the image layers.

Hmm.. that should work (i.e., editing indiv. layers). As Carol mentioned though, psd text layers aren't dynamically editable in the Gimp. The Gimp will merely render the text layers as pixels.

I worked for a few years w/a Photoshop user (I think he had PS CS). The caveats I learned from sharing files between the Gimp and PS were (from memory): 1. can't use masks in the Gimp and save to psd - they won't make it. Never figured out if the Gimp properly read in mask from PS though. 2. text layers just get rendered as pixel info - still look the same, but cannot be dynamically altered.

Everything else I did transferred correctly when I saved to psd, so I could be productive and maintain my ethics (i.e., Open Source or death).

I did read that the 2.3.x series of the Gimp has improvements to the psd filter. Not sure what they are though.

Eric P